Opinions on Yamaha, Phattie and MetroDrum

RadioClown

Opinions on Yamaha, Phattie and MetroDrum

Post by RadioClown »

I've been considering for some time and ready to make a purchase. My application is mostly light rock/pop in small pub settings. It's hard to test drive any of these models so I am looking for any input on the advantages/disadvantages of them.

Thanks!

-Greg
zimbop

Post by zimbop »

The only commercially made one I have seen was a Peace Manhattan kit. It was ok for the price I guess (around $350) but it definitely had the bargain sort of feel to it. The Yamaha Club Jordan was way out of my price league, so I sort of concocted my own. There are several active members here who play the Yamaha I think, perhaps you'll hear from them. Good luck with your search.
robertm

Post by robertm »

Welcome to the Outposts of Percussion. I'll bet a cockaitl drum would fit very well in your type of playing situation.

Have you thought about building your own cocktail set? A number of us here have doe it and have come out with huge financial savings (to start with, anyway!) and a chance to get exactly what suits our purposes. When I built my set i got most of my parts ffrom
www.drummaker.com. They have everything from high quality raw drum shells to hardware to finishes and wraps. In addition they can, if you need, do layouts and marking for drilling the hardware. I paid about $300. total for my cocktail drum and it was as much fun to build as it is to play.

There are excellent tutorials and posts on this site that can give you info on how to build your own setup, as well as pictures in the Gallery of projects that many of us have completed. Whatever you decide, keep us posted and enjoy yourself!

Robert Moehle
RadioClown

Post by RadioClown »

I've located a Yamaha Jordan kit not far from home. The pictures look really good and the owner is asking $900. How hung up should I be on the shells not being maple? Metro and Phattie I believe both use Keller maples.

Building my own sounds like fun though I'm not much of a handyman. Are there step-by-step instructions for idiots/dummies somewhere to be found?

Thanks!

-Greg
robertm

Post by robertm »

Hi Greg. A Club Jordan sounds good - a bit expensive, perhaps, but it's kind of the Cadillac of cocktail drums. Quite a few members on this forum have and use them. From what I hear the difference between maple and other woods is not huge, and has more to do with subtle variations in brightness of the sound.

There is a section on this forum called "Construction" under "Learn" that has several from-scratch projects that people here have done. The big thing with building is getting the shell drilled in the proper places for the hardware.

Good luck.

Robert
zimbop

Post by zimbop »

I never preferred Maple drums personally, so go see that kit and if you like the sound then don't worry about it. That price is certainly nice compared to a new CJ.

I definitely suggest checking out pics of member kits to see what else is out there. You can do it cheaper youself by building from scratch, or buying similar alternatives like I did. I assembled mine out of a used 16x16 floor tom, a mini snare, and some clever use of hardware and other items, though it's more of a mini drum set rather than a true cocktail kit. I have seen a lot of creative solutions so go see what's out there if you want to save a few bucks.

Though I also understand wanting to buy the 'real thing' and have it ready to go, so if that's what you really want and you can afford it, then definitely go for it. Have fun.

matthew medeiros

Cocktails & club Jordan

Post by matthew medeiros »

RadioClown wrote:I've located a Yamaha Jordan kit not far from home. The pictures look really good and the owner is asking $900. How hung up should I be on the shells not being maple? Metro and Phattie I believe both use Keller maples.

Building my own sounds like fun though I'm not much of a handyman. Are there step-by-step instructions for idiots/dummies somewhere to be found?

Thanks!

-Greg
Just be patient. You should be able to find A Club Jordan for well under $900. In my opinion. Or look for a good condition vintage, such as a Slingy, Ludwig or Gretch. Just make sure it has all attachments like the foot pedal, cymbal arms & such.
Matthew
Dinkus

Post by Dinkus »

Don't be hung up on the maple, the Club Jordan 15" has way more sub than my 16" Maple cocktail shell. I get a really nice snare sound out of the shell too. I definitely prefer the Jordan shell over the maple. I don't find any pro made drum like Yamaha to be expensive. I've owned around 11 kits from crap to killer. I will say there is a major tone difference and tune-ability with pro level drums. Your band, sound guy, club owner may not hear the difference but If your hitting a snare 1000 times or more a night, you better love your sound. A great kit makes a crap night live-able but a crap kit make a good night Sh@tty. P.S. I really like what Phattie is doing too.

Dinkus
bykrmyk

Post by bykrmyk »

Dinkus wrote: P.S. I really like what Phattie is doing too.

Dinkus

Not really on the cocktail drum topic, but have you seen their new bass drum system? It looks awesome. It's on their website.
Dinkus

Post by Dinkus »

I've thought about that too but I hesitate due to moving the gear. I wonder how they anchor the shell inside, I imagine it can't be floating free. Pretty cool, I'd love to hear how it sounds with a mic on it.

Dinkus
bykrmyk

Post by bykrmyk »

Oh yeah. I'd never use it with my cocktail set up. My standard set has a 22" bass and I'm always looking for "that" sound. I'd hate to move that thing (maybe put wheels on it). I imagine the inside shell is bolted down so it wouldn't rattle. It should also resonate with the larger shell.
jim kooser

Post by jim kooser »

Building really isn't tough. Basic woodworking and finishing skills are all you need if your interested in a stained or dyed drum with a poly or other relatively easy finish. Wrapping is a bit tougher. There are a few places to by shells, and most shell suppliers will cut bearing edges for you, though these are pretty easy to cut yourself with a router table. This site has a couple of good build descriptions. Check out Ghostnote too, lots of good builders and tutorials there.
jim kooser

Post by jim kooser »

Building really isn't tough. Basic woodworking and finishing skills are all you need if your interested in a stained or dyed drum with a poly or other relatively easy finish. Wrapping is a bit tougher. There are a few places to by shells, and most shell suppliers will cut bearing edges for you, though these are pretty easy to cut yourself with a router table. This site has a couple of good build descriptions. Check out Ghostnote too, lots of good builders and tutorials there.
zorf

Post by zorf »

Just a thought on ready made versus build your own.

i think he should just get something and start playing!
He can always make his own later.

There are so many things that get in the way of making music, family, work, creative blocks, etc. Unless he has the time, skill set, space, ambition, and vision to take this on,
this could just be another hurdle.
Don't obsess over gear, just grab what's nearby and start.

i agree that poor quality drums will not inspire you but the bargain kits should be
adequate to start. i have the jordon and love it but the cheapies on ebay should
work if you get good heads, tune them well, and get decent cymbals.
he could always sell them later, or have a second set for back up.
You can keep the cheap one at the practice space or take it to the dive bar gig,

Of course the danger is the slippery slope of collecting multiple kits.
I'm sure a few of you here know what I'm talking about!
matthew medeiros

Re: Cocktails & club Jordan

Post by matthew medeiros »

matthew medeiros wrote:
RadioClown wrote:I've located a Yamaha Jordan kit not far from home. The pictures look really good and the owner is asking $900. How hung up should I be on the shells not being maple? Metro and Phattie I believe both use Keller maples.

Thanks!

-Greg
Just be patient. You should be able to find A Club Jordan for well under $900. In my opinion. Or look for a good condition vintage, such as a Slingy, Ludwig or Gretch. Just make sure it has all attachments like the foot pedal, cymbal arms & such.
There is a Yamaha C.J on a buy it now for $850. Item # 160203058369. Didn't read through all the stuff but looks like some extra incl. Still think you can find cheaper
Matthew