Perfect kick drum head for cocktail drums!....

JohnnyZero

Post by JohnnyZero »

If you're like most cocktail drummers, you're probably not quite satisfied with your drum's kick sound. After much trial and error, I discovered a new type of head from Remo called a "BahiBass" head. It's made of a rather thick black vinyl, almost like a Naugahyde, and are intended for a new Remo drum called a "tan tan". They give you a nice round, low-pitched sound from even a small diameter cocktail drum. I was finally able to get an acceptable kick sound from my little 12" drum without having to resort to the usual ridiculous muffling techniques.<br>
<br>
The Remo part # for my 12" head is DX-0912-1V; <br>
as far as I know they're also available in 14", and probably 15" & 16".<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>

<p></p><i></i>
John Mettam

Post by John Mettam »

Hey Johnny,<br>
<br>
Thanks for the info! I'll check these heads out. I've been using a Remo PowerStroke 3 for the bottom of my 25x14 Slingerland Cocktail Drums. I keep it tuned very low and add two large strips of duct tape with tissue underneath to add some mass. I also use lug locks to keep the lugs from loosening and falling off!<br>
<br>
Anyone else have suggestions for small Kick heads??<br>
<br>
John
<p></p><i></i>
Don

Post by Don »

John,<br>
I don't know if it's really that different, but I like the Powerstroke 4 head. Makes a small drum sound BIG!
<p></p><i></i>
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Hey Folks:<br>
<br>
I've finished my restoration of my Ludwig Cocktail drum. As soon as I get some photos, I'll send them so you all can see. <br>
<br>
Anyhow, here's what I did for a bass drum sound:<br>
I had an old, used Remo CS with black dot laying around, so, I used it. The sound sucked. Putting felt strips inside just gave it a thuddy sound that also sucked. As an experiment, I took out the felt and cut three holes into the head. The holes are 1 1/2" in diameter (I used a washer off my cymbal stand as a compass.)and each are centered 2 1/2" away from the rim of the drum on the side opposite the pedal. The holes form an arched line in keeping with the 2.5" distance away from the rim and are 4 1/2" away from each other, center-to-center.<br>
<br>
Ah, that's better. No way does it sound like the Aquarian Super Kick on my set, but it does sound better. The holes let the sound out and thus allows for more of a boom. At worse, it's acceptable. One of these days--when I get the courage to waste a lot of money--I'll buy a new head and cut holes in it.<br>
<br>
I love my cocktail shaken, stirred, or just whipped to a pulp.<br>
<br>
Gregg
<p></p><i></i>
Bruce the K (old)

Post by Bruce the K (old) »

Johnny,<br>
<br>
I saw your earlier post on the BahiBass heads so I checked it out at my local music store. The store guy found them in his Remo catalog but they only listed 12", 14", and 16" sizes. No 15", which is the size my Yamaha Club Jordan needs!!&%$*!! I think I'll contact Remo and threaten to hold my breath until they make a 15" version.<br>
<br>
Anybody know how likely it is that Remo will respond to one lone nut asking for a different size of drum head? Any other Club Jordan players out there willing to join me?<br>
<br>
Bruce the K<br>
<br>

<p></p><i></i>
drew176

Post by drew176 »

I've had trouble trying to find this BahiaBass head, but I did find something similar, made by Contemporanea, which is a Brazilian company. They make a 2-ply head called a Napa head (12-24") that has what they describe as a sort of naugahyde top ply--for tantans and surdos. I'm waiting for it to be shipped from www.BrazilDrums.com.
<br>

<p></p><i></i>
drew176

Post by drew176 »

I got the Contemporanea 2-ply head for my 14" cocktail drum. It sounds really good. The only problem is that it seems to push a lot more air a than single-ply head, so it made the snare rattle a lot more. I've taken the snare off altogether and am just using my regular snare drum beside it -- using the top head as a tom.
<p></p><i></i>
Jason Shanfield

Post by Jason Shanfield »

I too am sorely disappointed with the sound of my cocktail kick drum. We just played a show at a small club that had a very attentive sound guy who was willing to take some time to refine the kick sound, but it was ultimately disappointing. I use an Evans Hydraulic head on the bottom because it's boomy and fairly resonant even with little hoop tension. Got a piece of duct tape to protect where the beater hits and muffle the head.<br>
<br>
Anyone got any ideas for how to keep the tension rods from loosening and falling out? Any tuning ideas for a head like this on a 14" shell?<br>
<br>
Jason Shanfield
<p></p><i></i>
Mike LaBeau

Post by Mike LaBeau »

I have a standard batter head with a hole cut in it. The hole is about 2" in diameter. I tried to guage the ratio of my standard bass drum port to the size of the drum head, and cut it off center like a larger bass head. This allows the air and sound to vent. My Leedy also has no baffle so I have placed a wash cloth free floating on the inside of the bass head. This set up produces a pretty reasonable sound acoustically and I set up a mic near the hole at larger gigs. <br>
<br>
Mike
<p></p><i></i>
JohnnyZero

Post by JohnnyZero »

Drew: thanks *so* much for the Napa info - you're a god! I just bought a 15" drum and was bumming...cool!<br>
<br>
Jason: have you considered those "lug-lock"-type thingy's to prevent rods from backing out? I've seen several such products - usually some kinda enhanced gizmo which replaces your standard tension rod lock- washers...Or how about some thread-lock goop from your trusty Home Depot? it remains pliable and can be removed w/ a finger nail...food for thought, anyway...<br>
<br>
best to ALL,<br>
JohnB<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>

<p></p><i></i>
Mike NYC

Post by Mike NYC »

I have a 50's WFL kit that has the original calfskin heads Iwhich I'll store) on a 16X28, 13X7 and 10X7. I want to play the kit and would appreciate any suggestions as to what heads I can use on the batter side.
<p></p><i></i>