how can I make a cocktail drum

Rich

Post by Rich »

It's not easy finding cocktail drums here in england and i don't want to shell out loads of money on<br>
the steve jordan kit. There's a company that will custom make shells to my specifications<br>
but I don't know the general height of the drum or shell thickness. Could someone send me some details? My friend runs a local drum shop and we've discussed ways of adding bits on etc so<br>
I have no worries about that. All help greatly appreciated.<br>
A big hello to the morphine guys.<br>
rw9762@bristol.ac.uk
<p></p><i></i>
John Mettam

Post by John Mettam »

Hey Rich,<br>
<br>
Most cocktail drums are between 22 and 26 inches tall and 14 to 16 inches in diameter. Thickness varies from company to company and era to era. This is more a judgement call for the sound you are looking for. Older drums are more likely 3 -play with reinforcing rings and newer are likely to be 4 to 6 ply with or without rings. <br>
<br>
I'm sure that there are a few companies out there that will make shells to your dimensions. If not you could always get two 12 x 14 (or whatever diameter) shells with no bearing edge on one side and glue them together with a reinforcement strip on the inside (This is the way Slingerland did it in the 60s and I believe Gretsch as well). Of course you'll have a seem but if you are covering the drum it should be fine or put a band of metal striping over the seem.<br>
<br>
Also, see the discussion on bass pedal conversions. This may help!<br>
<br>
Good luck and let us know what you end up doing!<br>
<br>
John
<p></p><i></i>