rug for pedal?

zorf

rug for pedal?

Post by zorf »

Thinking of going without the pedal brackets to save a couple of minutes setup time.

To those of you that use a metal base pedal that just sits on the floor;

What kind of carpet works for you? Short/ long nap? I'm assuming it needs to be big enough
to fit under the main drum legs as well? Does ithe pedal stay put?
And does it extend back into the area that you stand in as well? wondering if that might help
a bit with compfort on a hard surfaces as well as improve the sound a little.
Any comments at all about freestnding pedals would be apreciated.
thanks!
zimbop

Post by zimbop »

I use a piece of dense short-nap rug under my whole kit. Actually it's a 4x6 area rug from Ikea, and it looks great too. Cost something like $29. It keeps the pedal positioned pretty well, though I still want a bracket just to ease placement and for extra security.

MetroDrum now sells a pedal bracket. It's a bit pricey at $50 but it would do the trick. I did a fairly extensive search a few months back and didn't turn up a single bracket. I emailed metro and they didn't have one at the time but recently started offering it, so this was the only one I could find.
http://metrodrum.com/id13.html
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

I don't use a bracket for my pedal, but instead use one or another premarked pieces of industrial carpet. My pedal is a modified DW trigger pedal and the plate bottom has hook-side velcro, so most low pile carpet holds it well.
For setups with percussion and cocktail I use a 3'x6' piece of $12 HomeDepot industrial carpet runner with rubber grip bottom - I mark all stand points and pedal positions with tape for repeatability.
For a cocktail-only gig or rehearsal, I use a HomeDepot mud mat type carpet also with a rubber grip bottom (about $5) which is only about 18"x30" and marked with tape for stand and pedal position. The velcro catches well it, but I fit only 2 of the 3 leg points and all is solid. The nice thing about this is that it is small and I can roll hardware and then stuff in a small duffel - it adds some protection and makes the duffel less clumsy.
As far as extending into standing position, neither of mine really do, but a larger piece would. Acoustics is a moving target, I suppose having carpet completely under your cocktail kit would provide some measure of consistency with floor reflections, but there are so many other variable in a room that will affect your tone.
A pedal bracket could be nice, but with velcro on the plate and marked carpted surface (so that beater position is ideal) all is pretty dandy for me.
Spihunter

Post by Spihunter »

I got a indoor outdoor rug from walmart the other day that worked great for this. Get one that has a rubber bottom and is big enough for your kit and you to stand on.

I played a show with this the other night and I didnt need the bass drum pedal holder that came with my Peace Manhattan kit. everything stayed in place great and I beat the crap out of my kit! :lol:
Drumsdick

Post by Drumsdick »

I use a "mini" drum rug, that is actually a sample of an oriental rug from a carpet store. It is finished on all four edges, and is about the size of a car floor mat. I just place it under the pedal and the two nearest legs of my cocktail kit. Works great, and looks cool, too.
jim kooser

Post by jim kooser »

I use a little oval, short nap rubber backed doormat size rug. Fits well under my main drum. The remarkably cheap but effective Pulse pedal I use has velcro on the bottom, and the rug locks it in.
tikifreak

pedal bracket

Post by tikifreak »

Here's another idea for you cocktail drummers out there who want a secure pedal placement / bracket. Find a floor tom leg with double 90-degree bends in it (like a z-rod). Using a Dremel tool or hacksaw, cut off the "foot" of the leg right below (or maybe above) the bend closest to the floor. This leg can now replace one of the legs on your cocktail drum, and the kick pedal clamp (which normally attaches to the bass drum hoop) can clamp down onto the section of the leg that is parallel to the floor. The clamp may have to be opened up some (also using the Dremel tool) to be able to fit over the leg.

I am using this approach and it works beautifully. The slight hook on the leg (the second bend) nests on one side of the pedal casting, and with the clamp in place, my pedal beater is striking right in the center of the drum head. No more getting down on my hands and knees for a visual - it's there and I know it.

Problems with this idea:
1) If your drum is not perfectly vertical (like mine), you may have to bend the leg to get the proper angle between the floor tom mount and kick pedal. If you have the drum set up the way you like it, it is not that difficult to put the pedal in position under the drum and hold the new leg up next to the leg it will replace and get the bends right before you swap the legs out.
2) Since you are putting the pedal right near a leg (instead of between two of them), you may have to rotate your entire setup a bit to get the positioning you want.

Check it out.
-tikifreak
zimbop

Re: pedal bracket

Post by zimbop »

tikifreak wrote:Here's another idea for you cocktail drummers out there who want a secure pedal placement / bracket. Find a floor tom leg with double 90-degree bends in it (like a z-rod). Using a Dremel tool or hacksaw, cut off the "foot" of the leg right below (or maybe above) the bend closest to the floor. This leg can now replace one of the legs on your cocktail drum, and the kick pedal clamp (which normally attaches to the bass drum hoop) can clamp down onto the section of the leg that is parallel to the floor. The clamp may have to be opened up some (also using the Dremel tool) to be able to fit over the leg.

I am using this approach and it works beautifully. The slight hook on the leg (the second bend) nests on one side of the pedal casting, and with the clamp in place, my pedal beater is striking right in the center of the drum head. No more getting down on my hands and knees for a visual - it's there and I know it.

Problems with this idea:
1) If your drum is not perfectly vertical (like mine), you may have to bend the leg to get the proper angle between the floor tom mount and kick pedal. If you have the drum set up the way you like it, it is not that difficult to put the pedal in position under the drum and hold the new leg up next to the leg it will replace and get the bends right before you swap the legs out.
2) Since you are putting the pedal right near a leg (instead of between two of them), you may have to rotate your entire setup a bit to get the positioning you want.

Check it out.
-tikifreak
Seems like a clever idea, can you send a picture of it to be sure I understand what you say? The trouble for me will be that I use the top end of the leg to mount accessories to with clamps so if I lose length there by sliding it down I may lose those mounting positions.