Cymbal Tricks?

Flip

Cymbal Tricks?

Post by Flip »

Hello All, I looked at some of the other entries regarding cymbal issues but don't see what I need. My question is: do any of you have any tricks for keeping down the overtones on a ride cybal? Mine has a nice "chick" sound, but has more sustain and treble than I want. It's subtle but like the difference of putting moon gels on a drum -that little bit can matter a lot. Does anyone put a strip of tape or something on the back of the cymbal for this? I don't want to do something stupid and figure there are a lot of you w/ a lot more experience at this stuff than me. Bottom line: I'm open to suggestions. Thanks, Flip
zimbop

Re: Cymbal Tricks?

Post by zimbop »

Flip wrote:Hello All, I looked at some of the other entries regarding cymbal issues but don't see what I need. My question is: do any of you have any tricks for keeping down the overtones on a ride cybal? Mine has a nice "chick" sound, but has more sustain and treble than I want. It's subtle but like the difference of putting moon gels on a drum -that little bit can matter a lot. Does anyone put a strip of tape or something on the back of the cymbal for this? I don't want to do something stupid and figure there are a lot of you w/ a lot more experience at this stuff than me. Bottom line: I'm open to suggestions. Thanks, Flip
Moon gels are cheap. Get some and try it, there's nothing wrong with playing around. If you like the sound of something you try then stick with it.
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

Hey Flip,

Don't be afraid to try things. Some of the best ideas came from trying 'stupid' things!

I often add a piece of tape to the bottom of a cymbal to change the sound for the situation.

I would recommend using something like blue painters masking tape since it comes off very easily and does not leave any residue. Duct Tape and Electrical Tape have a great sound but will leave sticky goo behind on your cymbal (and drum rims!). If you leave it on for months and years it is REALLY hard to get off!

- John
Flip

Post by Flip »

Thanks Guys, This helps, that's what I was worried about - the tape residue not coming off and that moongels might leave a residue that would affect the cymbal. I'm using a 17" Zildjian K crash/ride and I guess have a tendency to be cautious because I love it. Rock on! Flip
bykrmyk

Post by bykrmyk »

If you do apply anything that leaves a residue, like tape or moongels you can use a citrus based product called Goo-Gone to remove it. It is meant for label adhesive and won't damage your finish.

Another thing you could try to mute the cymbal a little is a strip of cotton, felt or a piece of a towel. Poke a hole in one end and put it over the stand post then screw down the wing nut to hold it in place. You can experiment with different sizes until you find the sound you want.

I use the little dots that are like moongel. They feel sticky and gross, but I haven't noticed any residue left behind.

Good luck!
matthew medeiros

Cymbal Tricks

Post by matthew medeiros »

Another thing you should try is have someone hit the cymbal for you as you are out front. Try listening to your cymbal from several positions out front. It may surprise you how different your cymbal sounds when you're not right on top of it. In the end, you may decide not to sound dampen your cymbal at all!!!!
Matthew
bykrmyk

Post by bykrmyk »

Very true! Also do that while your band is playing. That would give you a good idea about the whole set. You just have to find another drummer to help you out.
almapercus

Post by almapercus »

A good trick is to use TrimGard's Door Edge Guard, available in car equipment stores.
You'll need not more than 1/4 inch to make your ride sound more "dry". It's also autoadhesive so it'll stay a few gigs.

It works!