new member: question about external snare/ toms

Emar

new member: question about external snare/ toms

Post by Emar »

Hi all,

My name is Mike; ths is my first post to the boards. I am mounting a Pearl Firecracker snare and a 6 ply 10X 6 tom, both on Rims mounts to an 8 ply maple cocktail drum. My question is: do I need to add any additional reinforcing on the inside shell of the cocktail drum other than some larger washers (I am worried about the stress on the shell), or should the thickness of the shell be suffiicient to support the weight of the drums under normal playing conditions? I am not a heavy player to begin with, I am just concerned about the weight, particularly the snare weight with the Rims mount. Any help would be appreciated- thanks!

Mike
Dinkus

Post by Dinkus »

Hi Mike, welcome to the forum. To make yourself feel safe I'd put on wider washers but if you are a lite player like you say you'd be safe without them. On my set up I actually have a rack bar mounted with 2 cymbals, remote hi hat and a tom. Held in place by tom mounts on the cocktail drum (club jordan). I beat the hell out of it and it takes it. I have put bigger washers to keep the shell from cracking. I do get concerned about the shear weight on the legs but obviously not enough cause I haven't reinforced it. This set up gets used for probably 90% of my gigs and hasn't failed at this point. (knock on wood).

Dinkus
Emar

Post by Emar »

Thanks- I'll give that a try!