Convert from 6 lug t0 8 lug

dickdog

Convert from 6 lug t0 8 lug

Post by dickdog »

I have a excel cocktail drum. It sounds good, but I am looking for a better sound from it. I have all the hardware from a early 60s ludwig floor tom. The drum itself is 6 lugs now. I would like to convert it to the 8 lugs of ludwig hardware. Do you all think I am waisting my time? should I buy a new shell to use the hardware on? Oh yea, I don't have much money for a shell, maybe $100. What do you think. By the way, my band is getting close to playing out. I will post it. Bullhonky Deluxe out of Flint, Michigan. Thanks, Dave
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

Dave
Do you actually have the floor tom or just the hardware? If you have the drum, have you tried that either in vertical or horizontal position instead of the cocktail drum? If the shell, rims and heads are decent, you may get some very good results, tho different from the cocktail drum itself.
I've done this with a 16x16 premier tom and sometimes use it (seated) in a vertical position instead of my 14x24 maple cocktail drum.
zimbop

Post by zimbop »

multiperc wrote:Dave
Do you actually have the floor tom or just the hardware? If you have the drum, have you tried that either in vertical or horizontal position instead of the cocktail drum? If the shell, rims and heads are decent, you may get some very good results, tho different from the cocktail drum itself.
I've done this with a 16x16 premier tom and sometimes use it (seated) in a vertical position instead of my 14x24 maple cocktail drum.

I'll second that, my kit is based around a 16x16 ludwig accent cs floor tom. I love it.
dickdog

Post by dickdog »

i really want to use the 24inch deep cocktail drum
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

ok, I understand.

well, if you're comfortable calculating, measuring and drilling your shell, the challenge seems to be in accurately placing 8 lugs where you previously had 6. don't know if there would be a detriment to the basswood shell in strength or tone with the extra drilling. Thoughts from anyone here?

If a new Keller or similar shell is too much $ right now - and factoring the effort and time to build a new drum ground up - look into getting the bearing edge on your drum true, and spend your time experimenting with heads, muffling and tuning tuning tuning. If you're tuning low on the bottom side, lug locks will help hold tuning. The head choices tuning and muffling have so much to do with the results of any shell.

if you are able to try some better quality 6-hole rims (die cast or wood) first without incurring extra cost, you may find that could improve tuning accuracy and range somewhat - but only if your existing rims are iffy.

however, If the shell is not in round, it's going to be a challenge any way.
Good luck - and post what you end up with!