New project

n4vgm

New project

Post by n4vgm »

I have begun a new project and will be posting pix soon. I was thinking of putting up pix of the components and letting you all guess as to what the outcome may look like. I have been planning this for some time but now things are coming together.

Bob
n4vgm

Post by n4vgm »

Here are some pictures. First, the snare - 8in GP (eBay)

Next the 10 matching GP tom (eBay)

and finally, a 12in Traps flat tom (Daddy's)

The GP snare and tom needed batter heads and brackets. The Traps tom just tuning.

Bob
robertm

Post by robertm »

I'm guessing a microkit, with the 12 in flat tom as the bass drum, everything tied to one or two stands like a cymbal stand or tom mount stand (or similar compact hardware arrangement). It'll be easy to transport and set up for sure. Let us know how it works out and sounds. Small is beautiful.
n4vgm

Post by n4vgm »

Good guess, but you are only half right (not going to say which half :D ). Transportability is a factor and I'll give you another hint. Packed up, the "set" will be contained in two "packages".

More pix to come.

Bob
robertm

Post by robertm »

Hmm....perhaps a regular cocktail drum, a 14" x 24" main drum or something like that?

Sounds like fun, keep us posted.
zimbop

Post by zimbop »

Tell me more about that Trapps flat drum... I've never seen that before.
n4vgm

Post by n4vgm »

I think they are a spinoff of UK's Arbiter, who has made single head drums for quite awhile. Here is the set my 12 inch came from.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=491112

Bob
n4vgm

Post by n4vgm »

Sorry for the delay, my oldest daughter just got married 1500 miles away!

Anywho, I finally got to work on this and I have another picture for y'all.

It's slow but moving forward! PVC RULZ!

Bob
Daddy-O

Post by Daddy-O »

Whew! Very minimalist! :wink: Love the "air kick drum!" :lol:
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

what a great idea - a single thin PVC post from a single sheet of plywood? Further rocking with the motion of a pedal attached. One clue I see is that the pedal is not inverted, so the other 2 drums must mount from that pedestal in some bizarre perpendicular Seussian way.

looks like the Flatt might bend or fall over but I love imaginative stuff like this! Does it really stand up ok? and how are you tuning that kick drum for the punchy deep wallop? Quite invisibly I guess.

No joking, I'm eager to see and hopefully hear more!
n4vgm

Post by n4vgm »

We shall see how it holds up to real playing. I am thinking of mostly "rods" type sticks but the whole thing may bounce around too much. The vertical tube just slides into a PVC cap screwed onto the base. The top part is a chain link fence connector that just slides into the tube. The Traps tom mount clamps to that like it does to a rack. I have not played it in this position yet. The black on the tube is velcro (think about THAT awhile)

I am working to add another PVC tube as the first but on the (players) left. That will hold the previously listed snare and tom. That mount system is from various areas of my local Home Depot but similar to the other using the fence connector. When that comes together I'll try to give you a closeup 'cause it will be hard to describe.

Remember friends, keep our toys from THE GRINCH -- he wants to steal our fun!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Neil_Peart3.jpg

Bobbydo Who (intern of the Blue Man Group)
n4vgm

Post by n4vgm »

Well, I created a mounting rig for the tom and snare but the material I used did not have enough backbone. The drums weight too much so they flopped around and hung too low.

So, another trip to Home Depot for some slightly different pieces and I'll rework it and see what happens.

Thanks for everyone's patience.

Bob
n4vgm

Post by n4vgm »

Ok, here we go! I was able to get some work done and the results are good. Here are some pictures of the basic kit, I will be adding cymbals/etc depending on what I can get into the containers.

I had to add a "leg" to the snare to prop it up. The drums do bounce a bit but once i get the whole thing together I'll be able to tell how it holds up under real conditions and I'm sure it will need adjsutments. Sorry, no clips yet but whenever they are available I'll be sure to add them. Right now the drums need tone adjustments. The 12 in tom is almost as deep as the "bass" but with tone. The suitcase sounds like, well, a suitcase, just a thud. I've heard much worse full sized bass drums over the years. The snare and 10 in tom are quite ringy but I usually add rings made of old heads to tone thigs down.

This certainly is not a cocktail set but I hope it's in the theme of portability, DIY, and general insanity.

Bob

PETER

Post by PETER »

wow!I like it :D easy to carry around for gigs!I think it's time for me to create another box drum smillar to yours!
robertm

Post by robertm »

Looks cool, and is portable! Doesn't get much better. Quite a well thought out set- let us know how it works on a gig.

There have been other folks hereon who have used a suitcase for a bass drum and it seemed to work out well. The Two-Tones is one group that is equipped similarly.