New project

n4vgm

Post by n4vgm »

Thanks for the support. The examples of suitcase drums I saw about a year ago led me to develop the concept. When I get it all together I'll be trying to find just the right musicians to fit in with (Yikes! Imagine what my wife will say when she meets them).

And it ranks high in the cheesy factor! (Maybe RANKS is a poor choice of words here).

Bob
Daddy-O

Post by Daddy-O »

Aww, nutz! All the luggage in our house is soft-sided! That turned out really cool--sort of an "neo-urban" look. Have you posted any sound samples yet?
John
n4vgm

Post by n4vgm »

Sorry, no sound yet. I've even been too busy to "finish" it out. Plus I want to make a short video of how it sets up but my only digital camera has limited movie setup. When I get it done I'll try and record something on my MP3 player, That should give you the idea. Otherwise it will have to wait until I join a band.

You are right about the soft sided stuff. This case was in our attic and was owned by my wifes grandmother so I think it's '60's era American Touister. Check your local Goodwill! :lol:

I just auditioned to play drums in a cover trio but this would likely not work for that. I'd still like to play in an acoustic jug band - so I'll be ready!

Bob
n4vgm

Post by n4vgm »

Well, the plot thickens! I had time on my way to the mall to get my hair cut to stop in at the local Goodwill store. Here is what I picked up.

Same type but about 1/3 larger than the other one with a much deeper THUMP. It will take reworking the plywood base BUT it may give me enough room to carry a full sized snare and a larger ride cymbal.

I say it's a hobby, my daughter says an addiction.

Bob
n4vgm

Post by n4vgm »

Submitted for your approval - The Suitcase Kit. Or, as I refered to the concept in another thread the "Beer" drumset. The Cocktail drumset is played in Nightclubs and Cocktail Lounges where as the Beer drumset would be more at home in a Bowling Alley or Chicken Wing Hut.

All you see here (except the cat) fits into the bass drum suitcase and another case. I need to do some tuning and tweeking but it's finally together.

Actually, I probably could fit the cat in somewhere but I don't think a cat is a traditional percussion instrument. And, once he's out of the bag . . .

Bob
n4vgm

Post by n4vgm »

I made a short clip with my MP3 player and it's built-in mic. I cleaned it up in Audacity but it's pretty raw. The bass is rather lacking but I did not EQ the clip.

http://home.earthlink.net/~n4vgm/pix/Su ... tcase1.mp3

I did not get the gig with the cover trio so I put an ad in Craigslist for an acoustic trio and will be getting with several respondents this week to organize. Hopefully, I'll have some live audio eventually.

Bob
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

looks and sounds wacky - congrats on completing the mystery project!

A few questions: how's the stability on the pvc posts? Do either bend and sway when you play? Are you going to tuning from the snare, down (ie crank that snare up) or tune the toms up a bit? What's that hi-hat thingy? How does the cat sound with the kit?

Also have you thought about cutting a port hole in the suitcase kick? Not sure but it may help tune or at least focus the thud, and a dangerous experiment if it goes badly! if you did cut a hole in the 'front' and it did improve the thump, layering a firm piece of rubber-back carpet in the case (which you could use underneath the kit when setup) would provide cover for the hole in transport. You wouldn't want the cat to fall out when carrying the mess.

The mark tree is an amusing exotic flair for a kit born from the humble suitcase. Cool beer!

This is inspiring. Makes me want to experiment with some old wooden boxes, crates, plastic jugs, circular saw blades, pans.....
robertm

Post by robertm »

NICE! Even a "limited" MP3 makes the kit sound good-congratulations! And it looks "coolly original." Have you thought of training the cat to play? (you'll never escape the cat references...)

It'll be interesting to see what you think of it once you use it in a gig situation. Again, good going!
n4vgm

Post by n4vgm »

Thanks all, I needed a lift (long unrelated story). Anyway, the PVC tubes slide into PVC caps bolted to the wood. I had to build up the tubes with PVC connectors and even a little masking tape so they fit fairly snug but twist out. In addition, I put velcro strips on the tubes and on the front of the case which bond together to add stability. So, the tubes are actually connected together by the suitcase. The tubes fit exactly the interior width of the green case.

On the original incarnation, I had the 10in tom and the 8in snare hanging on one tube and it was a bit much, lots of bouncing about. Since I got the larger case I can use an extra snare (60's era Slingerland student model) so only the 10in tom hangs on that tube. So now I have an 8in snare but I think I'll keep it, may come in handy some day.

The other tom, being flat, has a low center of gravity and hangs nicely. Niether tom is attached to the tubes, I used a connector for chain link fence poles that fits in the PVC and goes down a few inches. They do seem to stay but in real playing I'll bet it will move more.

I did think of "porting" the suitcase but decided against it for two reasons. 1) I did not want anything falling out since I planned to cram as much as possible inside, and 2) in South Florida it rains regularly and I did not want a hole to let water into the case. Yes I thought of several ways to close the hole (a rubber pad being one) but just did not want to "roll the dice". The larger suitcase sounds better anyway. I do have some carpet pieces that I use to protect the snare and cymbal and I have so far just left them in the case when I close it up.

I tune my snares lower than most drummers so the tom is higher in pitch then the large tom a little lower than the snare. The HH is a unique collapsable HH pedal from my 66 Slingerland kit, used here becasue it literally folds up. All I have on it now is a rod mount tambourine for the "chingk". I thought it sounded more "rootsy". Yes the bell tree adds a touch of class to an otherwise proletarian contraption. I did have to cut down the cardboard tube the tree fits in, I did not want to deal with THAT floating around in a suitcase full of stands.

As far as training my cat (or any cat) to play anything - They are too darn lazy! The only "musical" sounds he makes involves furballs. BTW, his name is "Lizard".

I have just started working with another guitar player (I play that too) and told him about this in the context of me being able (hopefully) to play at least the BD and HH while playing guitar. That may take some practice. At least it did not scare him away.

I forget who, but someone I mentioned this to actually suggested that I patent the idea and manufacture them for the masses - Somehow I kept a straight face! :lol:

Bob
Daddy-O

Post by Daddy-O »

Lizard won't fit into the case, eh? Too bad! Having a "Cool Cat" at gigs would be a hoot!

Have you tried picking up a fur brush and looking meaningfully in his direction? Bet he'll FIND a way to fit then!! :lol:
n4vgm

Post by n4vgm »

He loves the brush! Maybe if I put the brush in the case he would follow it in. You know I just thought that if I leave him in the case while I play that could be an interesting sound.

Actually, I like him too much to do mean things to him and he has not barfed on the carpet - lately.

Bob
dr. ron

Post by dr. ron »

Hey man
Here's something that might interest you.
http://www.edrums.info/rock_band_rack.htm
dr. ron
n4vgm

Post by n4vgm »

That is an awesome Edrum set. Gets back to natural materials. I used to have a photo of a guy playing a set made of cardboard boxes, pots, pot lids, etc but I can't find it. I did find this . . .

But I'm not sure what that's about, looks more like an art project.

Bob