I think this is a first?

metrodrum

I think this is a first?

Post by metrodrum »

So I've been wortking on this problem for a while... The problem, sympathetic snare buzz on a single shell cocktail drum. Full Length Snare on the top , kick drum on the bottom.

Recently - I was working with an engineer, and we applied a bit of the Hemholtz theory of porting a cabinet to a cocktail drum ( albiet bastardized because it's round ) and we pretty much have gotten to a point where you get zero snare buzz out of the top snare
when you hit the kick.

I've had an endorsee gig with one, and recenlt an upcoming article in a drum magazine is going to be doing a review.

I was pretty blown away, when I put a stick on the top head, whacked the kick pedal and with a stick sitting on the snare head, it didn't move, not even a perceptable buzz from the snares.

So, I played it at a gig in NYC, and have to say I missed my toms, how many cocktail players out here use just the minimalist snare/kick/hat setup?

Matthew@metrodrum.com
Dinkus

Post by Dinkus »

Yah, this was talked about some time ago about porting. It does work, however how much of the tone is lost from kick or snare. Is the snare much dryer, I imagine it is or did you port low on the kick. There is some pics of a ported kit from one of the members somewhere if I remember correctly. Keep up the R&D we love to hear good tricks.

Dinkus
metrodrum

RE: porting

Post by metrodrum »

Hey -

I've isolated both chambers, applied reflective treatments on the snare chamber and
isolated the baffle from the shell itself - the baffle essentially floats inside the shell.

The majority of the porting is on the kick, working the frequency at @ 60

The mags going to post cound files once the review is published.

Matthew@metrodrum.com
Daddy-O

Post by Daddy-O »

I also would miss my tom. The cheezy little kit I use now has an external demi-snare, an external tom, and of course the top head of the kick. I have also put together "minimalist" kit, with a full size floor bass and 14" snare, but I always feel as though something is missing in the middle, so to speak.

As always though, the disclaimer is that I actually play in a Pipe and Drum band, and have yet to gig as a solo drummer....the real professionals may have a different idea of what they need to gig with!

Keep the cool stuff coming! I love what you've done with the place! :D
Dinkus

Post by Dinkus »

Can this floating baffle tune the length of the drum for a higher/lower snare fundamentals? That would be pretty cool to be able to choose you're own tone. Does the baffle move during transport? Will it change (shift) from gig to gig? I like the sound of this idea? Cool

Dinkus
metrodrum

Moving Baffle

Post by metrodrum »

In theory you could certainly make a moving baffle, with the understanding that it would change the tuning port requirements on both the snare and kick side of the single drum. A variable air vent could solve that, and allow some adjustments by the end user.

Just a thought...

Matthew@metrodrum.com