cannister thrones

zorf

cannister thrones

Post by zorf »

Anybody here made their own cannister thrones?
Could you just start with a floor tom? If so, how many plys?
DW still makes one which looks ok and you can still get one from ludwig.
I have too short an attention span to wait 8 weeks, however.
I always thought they were cool.
How come you dont see them much? Are they uncomfortable?
tikifreak

throne storage case

Post by tikifreak »

I made one from a piece of 12 inch PVC pipe with a Roc-n-Soc seat on top of it. I put a hinge on the seat bottom and added a small block of wood inside to attach the hinge to the pipe. The bottom is plywood, screwed in from the sides. A handle on the back from an LP conga, some old carpet padding inside, and a wrap of leopard print fabric over some spray-on adhesive on the outside. It was easy and works great, but the thing is REALLY heavy, even when empty. I use it to carry my Yamaha cymbal arms, LP cowbells and wood block, stuff like that. I love it and plan to make more. Mine is the most stable throne I've ever had.

Keep your eyes open for new neighborhoods being built. They usually put in 12 inch PVC sewer lines, and you can get the scrap ends for free off their trash piles. I got enough pipe to make 4 thrones that way. The Roc-n-Soc seat was the only thing I had to buy, everything else was found around the house.

tikifreak
Dallas, TX
zorf

Post by zorf »

Cool....
Photos?

I've looking at plastic buckets and drums.
I have a couple of 30 gallon drums with lids that might work.
They are strong and light.
Only problem, i cant see any way to decorate them.
They will not take a wrap because they have several ribs and they are tapered.
Maybe some kind of paint finish?
I do really like the classic look of the old ones.
matthew medeiros

thrones

Post by matthew medeiros »

Other thing you can use is a keller shell, more expensive than PVC but a lot lighter and if you have natural wood finish drums you can make your throne match your drums. Good lug
Matthew
zorf

Post by zorf »

Good lug to you too.

Sorry Mathew, couldn't resist.

Any seat / hardware ideas if i go with a wood shell?
tikifreak

photos

Post by tikifreak »

I have been working on my kit for over three years now, buying one piece at a time and developing the concept as I go along. It's a micro kit made from Yamaha Absolute series drums that can be reduced into more of a true cocktail kit if needed for super small setup spaces. The cannister throne was one part of the overall concept. When I get it all done, I plan to take many photos for submission to this wonderful website. I am so happy with the results of this project that my standard size Pearl kit will soon be up for sale. I have one more custom part that needs to be machined and test driven. Once that gets incorporated into the kit, I will spring the whole works on you with text, photos, and hopefully some sound files as well. I have received nothing but raves from the people who have seen, heard, and played my set, and I am looking forward to the responses from the cool cats on this site. I just don't want to submit anything until I feel I am done.

It wasn't very long ago that I had never even heard of a "cocktail drum kit". Now, I don't want to play anything else! I intend to play drums until I die, and I 'm hooked for life. This site has given me many ideas and loads of useful information. I intend to give back what I have learned and developed, as I feel it will be helpful to others. Drum on, my brothers! (And sisters, too. I love you gals who play and sing.)

tikifreak
Dallas, TX
dickdog

Re: throne storage case

Post by dickdog »

tikifreak wrote:I made one from a piece of 12 inch PVC pipe with a Roc-n-Soc seat on top of it. I put a hinge on the seat bottom and added a small block of wood inside to attach the hinge to the pipe. The bottom is plywood, screwed in from the sides. A handle on the back from an LP conga, some old carpet padding inside, and a wrap of leopard print fabric over some spray-on adhesive on the outside. It was easy and works great, but the thing is REALLY heavy, even when empty. I use it to carry my Yamaha cymbal arms, LP cowbells and wood block, stuff like that. I love it and plan to make more. Mine is the most stable throne I've ever had.

Keep your eyes open for new neighborhoods being built. They usually put in 12 inch PVC sewer lines, and you can get the scrap ends for free off their trash piles. I got enough pipe to make 4 thrones that way. The Roc-n-Soc seat was the only thing I had to buy, everything else was found around the house.

tikifreak do you have a picture of this? i would love to see it
Dallas, TX
bykrmyk

Post by bykrmyk »

slightly off-topic, but 12" pipes would make good drum shells too. Anyone tried that?
matthew medeiros

pipes as drum shells

Post by matthew medeiros »

The problem with trying to use pipes as drum shells is that pipe diameters usuall refer to the inside diameter of the pipe. Drums, on the other hand use the outside diameter of the shell as their size. So a 12" diameter PVC or SDR pipe would be 12 inches plus the thickness of the plastic, usually doesn't work for the drum head diameters. You might be able to turn drown the outside diameter of the pipe a bit?? Does this make sense?? although some thinner wall pipes might work if there are heads that tend to be a "looser" fit.
Matthew
bykrmyk

Pipes

Post by bykrmyk »

I've seen them both ways, but don't know about large diameter pipes (until now) so you are correct. That would be a problem. You might be able to use a 13" or do something like Whitney drums... but it would probably be a lot of trouble.
metrodrum

cheap canister thrones

Post by metrodrum »

I've built a couple for customers using the furniture grade full cylinders from anderson
with an MDF baffle at the bottom, and top, and fitting high density foam, and custom tuck of the material on the top ( a bit of an effort )

Not the cheapest way out, but works well, wrapped it to match the kits.. slick...

Matthew@metrodrum.com