Same old story: Tuning Tuning Tuning

traleeman

Same old story: Tuning Tuning Tuning

Post by traleeman »

I have an old cocitail drum with no mariings on it. Just a gromet. Well I know there have been many forums on tuning, I'm wondering if someone could narrow down my search and help out. The drum is 24" tall and 16" round. I have an Aquarian powder coated head with the ring inside the head for a kick head. The top or floor tom head is an ambassador powder coated head. (I use an aux. snare, more on that later, I need to bring the Brightness of that down) Anyway I have alittle to much ring, any hints, on the bass that is? Thanks alot, this is a great site!!!! Traleeman
traleeman

Post by traleeman »

I ment no markings on it
robertm

Post by robertm »

I use an Evans Hydraulic oil filled for the bottom head on mine and a 3 in. terrycloth square inside the drum controls the ringing a little, just enough. Loose cotton balls are used by quite a few players here. Half the fun of a cocktail kit is experimenting. In my case it beats learning to play...
zimbop

Post by zimbop »

I use a black evans hydraulic on the bottom and an Evans EC2 on top. The top rings too much so I have an e-ring on there too. I may actually try a hydraulic on top sometime too. I also wanted to try a Remo Ebony pinstripe on top which is a 2-ply with a built-in ring. Still looking for that thud I want. Oh and BTW, I use a 16x16 floor tom with a separate snare, so I rarely play the top head on the main drum.
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

we'll get back on-topic, but first...I noticed zimbop says he rarely plays top head on 16x16.

I also have similar 16x16 setup and do play the top head as a tom when it's in vertical position. And setup in traditional horizontal position I use the same tuning - it's great both ways. I use an aquarian vintage on the beater side with a click pad and 2" double felt strip and on the front (horizontal) or top (vertical) I use a remo fibreskin3. I tune both heads rather low but not flappy and more or less to same pitch so I have a simultaneous low tommy / round small kick sound.

I'm always searching for the same happy medium on my 14x24 standing cocktail bigdrum though - that always seems to be more about a compromise in tone.
zimbop

Post by zimbop »

multiperc wrote:we'll get back on-topic, but first...I noticed zimbop says he rarely plays top head on 16x16.

I also have similar 16x16 setup and do play the top head as a tom when it's in vertical position. And setup in traditional horizontal position I use the same tuning - it's great both ways. I use an aquarian vintage on the beater side with a click pad and 2" double felt strip and on the front (horizontal) or top (vertical) I use a remo fibreskin3. I tune both heads rather low but not flappy and more or less to same pitch so I have a simultaneous low tommy / round small kick sound.

I'm always searching for the same happy medium on my 14x24 standing cocktail bigdrum though - that always seems to be more about a compromise in tone.
The main reason I don't play the top head is because I have obstructed it with accessory percussion! It does sound ok, and if I have time to get a stick in between the mini-timbales and the hihats then I can play it a little, but it also just isn't a sound that belongs with my snare and timps so it's not all that useful.
jim kooser

Post by jim kooser »

I use an Evans hydraulic on the bottom, and an Evans EC2 on the top, of my 14x24 main drum. Both heads are tuned rather low, to the same pitch. I have a knob-adjustable damper under the top head, and two felt strips, about 8 inches long, across the "cord" of the lower head. I tried lots of other solutions, bigger fetlt strips, cotton balls among them, to cut down the ring. I settled finally on flattening the bearing edges a little bit, reshaping them to a more rounded profile (the shell I used came with rather sharp double 45 edges), and that seemed to do the trick.
tikifreak

floor tom / kick heads & tuning

Post by tikifreak »

Traleeman,
Try the Aquarian Performance II for a kick head, tuned low with a 2.5 inch Falam Slam pad on it where the beater hits. Then put a Remo coated Pinstripe (or Evans Hydraulic) on the top, tuned like a small floor tom.

This setup works great on my 16 x 16 floor tom / kick drum.

tikifreak
zimbop

Post by zimbop »

I have had trouble finding bass beater heads as small as 16". I remember that aquarian had one but I never found it in a store, and I'd love to have the sound of a superkick on there. How is the Performance II different from the Superkick II?
traleeman

Post by traleeman »

Thanks for all the ideas!!!! I know there is no definitive answer, but I am taking it all in!!! Please keep sending the formulars!!! Isn't this a great web page!?!?!?!?!?
Traleeman :D
tikifreak

Aquarian heads

Post by tikifreak »

zimbop,
I have seen ads that say the Superkick II head comes in a 16" size, but I have never found a retailer who can get one - I think it was a misprint. The Performance II head has a built-in muffler ring and extra ply around the edge. I'm not sure if the entire head (center part) is one ply or two. It is designed for low-frequency tuning. I can't tell you every difference or similarity between the Performance II and the Superkick II, because I've never fully examined either one. All I know is that someone on this forum recommended the Performance II after speaking to an Aquarian rep about kick heads for a cocktail drum. I decided to try it, and it blows away the Remo Pinstripe I was using as a kick head. Aquarian is the only kick head I will be buying for my kit. I believe the 2.5 inch Falam Slam (or similar) impact badge is also helpful in getting the sound I like. What I really love is NO ADDITIONAL DAMPENING NEEDED on either end of the drum. Try it with a Pinstripe or Hydraulic on top and see what you think.

tikifreak
zimbop

Re: Aquarian heads

Post by zimbop »

tikifreak wrote:zimbop,
I have seen ads that say the Superkick II head comes in a 16" size, but I have never found a retailer who can get one - I think it was a misprint. The Performance II head has a built-in muffler ring and extra ply around the edge. I'm not sure if the entire head (center part) is one ply or two. It is designed for low-frequency tuning. I can't tell you every difference or similarity between the Performance II and the Superkick II, because I've never fully examined either one. All I know is that someone on this forum recommended the Performance II after speaking to an Aquarian rep about kick heads for a cocktail drum. I decided to try it, and it blows away the Remo Pinstripe I was using as a kick head. Aquarian is the only kick head I will be buying for my kit. I believe the 2.5 inch Falam Slam (or similar) impact badge is also helpful in getting the sound I like. What I really love is NO ADDITIONAL DAMPENING NEEDED on either end of the drum. Try it with a Pinstripe or Hydraulic on top and see what you think.

tikifreak
Well, I had a Superkick II on my traditional kit and loved it. Also had a regulator for a resonant head. I'd love that setup on my 16x16, and I too saw on their web site that they claim to make that size, but have never been able to purchase one. Maybe I should contact them to see who actually stocks that size.
jmettam
Site Admin

Re: Aquarian heads

Post by jmettam »

zimbop wrote: 16x16, and I too saw on their web site that they claim to make that size, but have never been able to purchase one. Maybe I should contact them to see who actually stocks that size.
Hey Guys,

Most brick and mortar stores have complete catalogs from their distributors with all available products. They should be more than happy to make a special order for you since business is business. It may take days or weeks for a special order but it should be do-able with little trouble.

- John