remote HiHat cable

matthew medeiros

remote HiHat cable

Post by matthew medeiros »

Ya know, Guitar center is great for price but I'm having trouble finding any clerks that know what they are talking about. anyone have any experience with older DW remote Hi Hat cables? I have a DW 5000 remote, and I am looking for the cable only, not the housing that originally came with but just the cable with the proper ends to hook back up to the foot pedal end and the remote end, I guess I could post pics if that would help. I have a 6 foot cable, and the equipment is from about the mid '80s or so. :?:

I'll add pics as soon as I remember to bring my camera and cable together.
Last edited by matthew medeiros on Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matthew
Dinkus

Post by Dinkus »

Is there any way to retro fit this with other cables? (Pearl, Gibraltor, Tama, Bicycle line) Take a few pictures maybe we can up with an idea to help out. Farm supply stores often have Aircraft cable that can be cut to fit. UFA stores if you're around Canada.

Dinkus
metrodrum

Guitar Center

Post by metrodrum »

Not to slam GC, but it's few and far between that you'll find technical guys, visit a five star shop or call one - that's my recommendation....
hayden

Post by hayden »

I managed to jerry rig a snapped cable back to the pedal-to-cable "piston" inside the casing (a generic high-hat cable setup) with a good pair of pliers (tightening a shaft-nut over the knot in the cable against a bolt with a hole drilled through- the original cable had snapped and left the original bolt-with-cable bit useless), but I assume you're looking for a much more professional solution. I'd imagine they all use a fairly similar system of a bolt with the end of a cable crushed into a shaft through the center of the bolt, which is then attached to the pedals "piston" which has a bolt on its end, with a shaft like nut and locking nut to join the two bolts from pedal to cable. I apologise for my poor technical language, I'm an electronics guy, not a mechanical guy... The bolt diameter from memory looked around 8mm.

You can always attempt to drill out another appropriate bolt and try to crush/weld/knot/screw the cable into the end of the bolt. My rig so far has lasted about as long with the touch and go fix, as it had lasted since I bought it, and works just as effectively!

Cheers,

Hayden.
matthew medeiros

DW remote hihat cable

I was able to finally get a part number from DW off their website, I got a return e mail response very quickly from them. The DW rep says this will be the correct part, I will repost after I receive the new cable & let everybody know if the parts fit. For reference, the part number I was given by DW is: DWSP338-6 (for 6 foot cable). According to the DW rep they will make the cable any length you want, with the proper ends of course. Anyway, I hope that the ends are correct for my set up, as it is from about the mid '80s and this is a 5000 series remote. When I tried to originally order from G.C. they tried to sell me the cable housing assembly, which is quite a bit more costly than just the cable.
Matthew
Mike Strehlow

Post by Mike Strehlow »

I have a DW5000 pedal from the same era. It's cable ends are not properly connected either. The guy I bought if from made do with what he had, but there are parts missing. when you get your new cable would you post some pictures of what it's supposed to look like before you hook it up? I'd appreciate it.

Justin at DW customer service was very helpful to me. He went and found a schematic for the pedal with a parts list out of an old notebook somewhere and sent me PDF's of those pages. Way more than necessary. I was very impressed.

Did you order your cable directly from DW?

Thanks in advance.
matthew medeiros

DW Cable

Hey Mike, No I had to order the cable from a dealer (Guitar Center, in this case) but after getting no help from the 12 year old sales clerk at Guitar Center, I e-mailed DW direct and this guy Justin got right back to me with a part number. I'm trusting him that He (Justin from DW) has the correct part number, and I ordered the part but I really have no idea if it is going to fit until I get the part. I have a feeling the part is in and that the clerk at G.C. just hasn't called me yet, I'll probably have to go by (again) & check on the part. I will definitely post pics. Unfortunatley the reality is that they would rather sell you a new $250 remote than help you find a $20. replacement part. Oh well,....
Matthew
jmettam
Site Admin

Re: DW Cable

Post by jmettam »

matthew medeiros wrote:Unfortunately the reality is that they would rather sell you a new $250 remote than help you find a $20. replacement part. Oh well,....
I go into music shops and sift through their bins of old wing nuts and other hardware to keep my old 60s stands alive. Invariably a salesperson says something like 'Those old stands are so rickety and the new ones are so cheap why don't you just get a new one?"

Of course the cheap stand he wants to sell me will last 6-12 months and my old Ludwig stands were made in the 60s and are still going strong!

It's a disposable world now. Fewer and fewer people understand the "fix it instead of chuck it" state of mind!

Just had to have a little rant :wink:

- John
matthew medeiros

Re: DW Cable

jmettam wrote:
matthew medeiros wrote:Unfortunately the reality is that they would rather sell you a new $250 remote than help you find a $20. replacement part. Oh well,....
I go into music shops and sift through their bins of old wing nuts and other hardware to keep my old 60s stands alive. Invariably a salesperson says something like 'Those old stands are so rickety and the new ones are so cheap why don't you just get a new one?"

Of course the cheap stand he wants to sell me will last 6-12 months and my old Ludwig stands were made in the 60s and are still going strong!

It's a disposable world now. Fewer and fewer people understand the "fix it instead of chuck it" state of mind! Just to update on the cable: After not hearing back from G.C., finally stopped by tonight. Turns out the part had been discontinued but DW is making me a new one. The sales clerk was suppoosed to have called me and let me know, it seems like it will be a couple more weeks until ready, I sure hope it fits after all this rig-a-marole.

Just had to have a little rant :wink:

- John
Matthew