cocktail drums and guitar duo

dickdog

cocktail drums and guitar duo

Post by dickdog »

Are any of you in a cocktail drums and guitar duo? The guitar player in my band and I were thinking about doing some duo stuff, to play in some small clubs or opening slots at bigger venues. We would be playing Americana music.
metrodrum

Guitar and drum duo

Post by metrodrum »

Hey There.... Matthew from Metrodrum here... I play exclusively in a duo - guitar and drums, (sometimes we play as a trio, with another guitarist too) - I use a cocktail drum exclusively also, in fact I've stopped playing traditional kits, have no need for them anymore.

Recently I did a gig in Cambridge, a short subway ride from where I'm located. I brought one of my Clubster models - a straight up and down traditional snare on top, kick on bottom cocktail set with an xhat and a 16" cymbal for my crash-ride. I was playing with a duo who both played guitar and sang.

I threw the Clubster into a conga bag, which fits it perfectly, and carried my little gig bag with hardware etc... Jumped onthe subway - took it for 5 stops, walked 4 blocks to the gig. The duo was amazed ( It was a pick up gig, never played with them before ) and when I set up and played, they were thrilled with the sound and portability, and cool factor of the cocktail drum.

A big hit all around. I also play with a artist in NYC, and will drive down with other bands sometimes, throwing my cocktail drum inthe back of the car, taking up little space.
Great portability. - small footprint, and less equipment that a guitarist carries!

typically I put one mic on the kick, and in larger venues, another on the tom rim to pick up the snare tom and hat. Gives me more than enough coverage - especially with americana style music. Plus the clubs are not put off by a big drum set and the associated stage space, and volume issues.

Matthew@metrodrum.com
traleeman

Post by traleeman »

Can you post a picture of that kit w/ the x-hat and all???? Thanks
Mike Strehlow

Re: Guitar and drum duo

Post by Mike Strehlow »

metrodrum wrote:typically I put one mic on the kick, and in larger venues, another on the tom rim to pick up the snare tom and hat. Gives me more than enough coverage - especially with americana style music. Plus the clubs are not put off by a big drum set and the associated stage space, and volume issues.

Matthew@metrodrum.com
I've seen reference to "Americana" style music. Can you describe that for me? Thanks.
metrodrum

Americana - it's a catch all - I think!

Post by metrodrum »

Well, the folks I've played "americana" music with range from acoustic folkie types to plugged in full bands - I guess it encompasses music ranging from the Bob Dylan stuff to alt country leaning folks like the Old 97's and The Drive By Truckers. I think if you pushed the genre, you in include older C&W material, Carter Family (one of my favorites) - Many artists who get locked into the Alt Country moniker are using it
to break out from what the more mainstream deems "country music"

My 2 anyway.

Hey btw, in an unbashed promotion, Modern Drummer just review 2 of my kits and loved them!

Matthew