Pearl Kick Pedal Conversions?

jmettam
Site Admin

Pearl Kick Pedal Conversions?

Post by jmettam »

Has anyone converted some of the less expensive Pearl pedals to a Cocktail configuration?

There are a couple that look good but have never seen them first hand.

Specifically the P120P and the 900 Series

- John
metrodrum

Pedal Conversions - Suggestions -

Post by metrodrum »

Hey John - ( an all )

I've found the Ludwig L215FP pedal a great pedal, it's a decent pedal, and easy as
pie to convert for cocktails, literally takes 3 minutes to convert, I did half a dozen this
morning for kits and conversion kits. The pedal retails for about $35.

I am going to be posting a YouTube video to show how to convert, but in the meantime, all you need to do is:

1. Loosen the set screw on the left side of the upright to release the sleeve that holds
the bearing in place.
2. Loosen the tension rod style screw which holds the pedal chain in place
3. Loosen the allen screws that hold the beater cam, and the chain cams.
4. Slip the main shaft that the cams attach to out one side of the uprights
5. Reverse the cams, first the chain cam, then the beater cam, offsetting them one
degree ( degree being the angles on the main shaft, you'll see it when you slip them
back on. )
6. Tighten it all back up

Your done. Easy.

I've reversed DW 7000 single and double pedals, which require that you shorten the chain, and I think they actually have more upward "stiction" than the cheaper Ludwig pedal. The Ludwig pedal reminds me feel wise, of an old speed king, without the squeek. I've also used a Dixon pedal, which is actually a very nicely made kick pedal
for the $50 dollar or so price. It has a foot plate, etc... the only issue with it is that you need to cut the cam into two pieces, as the beater and chain are cast as one aluminum piece. a little sweat, and it's done, but a 1/2 hour job from start to finish.

I use an older Tama Power Glide pedal myself, and again I had to cut the cam into two
pieces to allow individual chain and beater cams. But I've always been a Tama pedal fan myself, back to my old double kick pedal days on sitdowner kits.

Should have a short YouTube video up in a few weeks, trying to find the time to get it shot between building kits!

Happy New Year to All

Matthew@metrodrum.com