Under head snare mechanisms?

Jayare

Post by Jayare »

I'm converting a single head cocktail drum with no snares to a more conventional medel with snares under the top head. I need suggestions/imput/ideas/etc., on doing this. Thanks.<br>
Jon
<p></p><i></i>
Don

Post by Don »

I imagine a creative person could take an old tom muffler and attach some spread-out snare wires to it. That wouldn't be too different from the way the "big" companies did it in the "old days". But, you may prefer attaching a small (10") popcorn snare to the side and keep your cocktail drum as a tom/bass.<br>
<br>
Good Luck!
<p></p><i></i>
Dean koba

Post by Dean koba »

I've tried about 3 different versions of under the head snare mechanisms. 1) single tom muffler with 1/2 a snare fanned out, 2) 2 tom mufflers with complete snare across head--tom mufflers connected to each end,<br>
3) remo or premier scottish parade drum snare assembly. OK, it all depends on how loud you play & what pitch you tune your drum. The single tom muffler is the most sensitive, but it buzzes. The other versions allow you to really lay into the drum but not much snare response. You may try to add a support to the single tom snare mount... a kind of baffle to push more snare surface on the head. There are also versions of coctail drums tha have a complete baffle or board between the top snare chamber & the lower bass chamber.<br>
<br>
Hope this helps.<br>
Dean<br>
www.bayoubrass.com<br>
<br>

<p></p><i></i>