12 inch bass

zorf

12 inch bass

Post by zorf »

Sorry if this has been covered before....

Anyone use a 12inch main drum?
Except Peter, of course.
Curious how much bass you could get.
zorf

Post by zorf »

bump....
Anyone get some decent bass thump out of a 12 inch?
I can live with the sound i'm getting with my 15 inch but i'm a little sceptical
about getting anything resembling a traditional bass drum sound from a 12.
thoughts?
Dinkus

Post by Dinkus »

I think you'd be reaching to get any sort of low sub or even good solid kick type punch from a 12". That being said I've never tried so can't speak for sure. I've tuned drums down pretty low and gotten good results with small toms but I personally would pass on a 12". It may work for your style of music though, just doesn't fit with what I mostly play.

Dinkus
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

I'll bet you could get a decent miced sound. Not acoustic though unless maybe it was 18" deep? There was a guy making 8 or 10 (diameter) x 20 (deep) kicks like that in Italy for a while. He used PVC pipes from the hardware store. I never heard them but they looked pretty cool!

I have used a fiberboard snare case (14") before and it sounded really good for quieter rock stuff. Just another idea.

Let us know if you come up with anything!

- John
metrodrum

12" bass - I use one

Post by metrodrum »

I use a 100 year old or so Ludwig & Lugwig Bros bass drum that came from what I believe is a childs drum set, ( I have the snare too... ) it has calf heads which I think make a very big difference in the depth of the sound, I also use a leedy pedal, circa 1920 or so - it's a piece of art ! What's amazing abou tthe pedal is that the foorplate is actually designed with an arch! Must be meant to be played without shoes, it feels so comfortable - and words exceedly well. I pair it with a 1920 George Stone snare - 13 x 3 with gut snares, played with a pedal also.

Now here's the twist.... I play both of these with my feet. Snare on the left, Bass on the right, while I am playing my guitar - My Partner, she plays a 100 year old Estey portable pump organ, and we keep it all acoustic, no amps of any kind, aside from mic's from vocals and on the instruments.

I am really pleased with the sound of the bass, which has a single tension rod that controls the front resonant side, and the Rear batter side. The drum is only 4 or 6 inches deep, and I somehow feel that has much to do with the immediateness of the response of the drum, coupled with the old calf heads. To dampen it I sometimes just lay a cloth over the front head.

So, while not a cocktail drum - it certainly is a portable set up, and I've found playing drum beats ( albeit very simple ) on my feet while I play and sing is quite natural and I've developed a Levon Helm-ish style of playing, that compliments the music ( old carter family, Hank snow, alt-country-ish ) very well.

I've thought about making some 18 x 6 horizontal cocktail drums fort a while, and if I get some time, I may delve into that more.....

best -

Matthew@metrodrum.com
zorf

Post by zorf »

Hey Guys,
Thanks for the ideas.
I think i'm just going to have to experiment and see what happens.
Worse case scenario- i'm out $100 and a few hours of my time.
And i will have learned something.
I'll post up the results.Might be a few weeks till i get around to it.
matthew medeiros

Post by matthew medeiros »

zorf wrote:Hey Guys,
Thanks for the ideas.
I think i'm just going to have to experiment and see what happens.
Worse case scenario- i'm out $100 and a few hours of my time.
And i will have learned something.
I'll post up the results.Might be a few weeks till i get around to it.
Still got the 2 13 inch Vespes, just a thought? I'll be in S.F. on May 9th for a gig, although not a cocktail set gig. Matthew
Matthew
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

Hey Zorf,

What exactly is your though. Making a 12" diameter Cocktail drum? If so how tall are you thinking?

One test you can do is take a 12" mounted tom and mount it low on a cymbal stand. If you have a bass pedal with a plate on the bottom you should be able to set them up so that the beater hits near center. Then you can play around with heads and tuning. Won't have depth but it is a way to try the sound.

I have a friend who used to use a 13" tom for a kick like that. He did not tune it very low but it was a cool sound and setup!

- John