Adding a Bass Head

mike

Post by mike »

Anyone add a bass head to a single snare headed cocktail drum? If so, successful, comparable to standard two head drums?<br>
Thanks, Mike
<p></p><i></i>
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

Hey Mike,<br>
<br>
I've been wondering about this too. I'm sure if the bottom rim is in good shape and of normal construction that it would be possible. It is my impression that most single headed drums are a few inches shorter than the double headed models but design was so inconsistent between companies that this may not be the case for many drums. Some drums also had extra reinforcing rings around the OUTSIDE of the bottom rim! THis could be a problem.<br>
<br>
There are many vintage drum restorers that do everything from rebeveling bearing edges to resiying drums so I'm sure it can be done!<br>
<br>
Let us know if you try it.<br>
<br>
John
<p></p><i></i>
Jayare

Post by Jayare »

I have a 3-ply Gretsch single head drum that was pretty beat, and decided I'd probably add to it's value (utility-wise) by converting to a two head configuration. I obtained some Gretsch lugs that matched the others, and utilized a wood hoop and claws from a trashed Gretsch single tension marching snare. I chose a Remo powerstroke 4 head, and it really has the bass drum vibe with the wood hoop, claws,and T-handle tension rods. The drum was without snares under the top head, and instead of using the screw adjust muffler arrangement like some I've seen, I used an old Ludwig bat handle muffler. I removed the felt, and attached a cut off, half-a-snappy snare wire thing. This way I can throw the snares on and off, instead of screwing them up to the head (hope you can follow that snare business). Still struggling with the pedal and anchoring business, but what else is new.<br>
Cheers,<br>
J.
<p></p><i></i>