baffle between top and bottom

vince

Post by vince »

In the photo section it is mentioned several times that there is often a baffle between the snare top and bass bottom of a cocktail set, I have never seen a cocktail drum with this feature, does anyone know who made this type of drum?
<p></p><i></i>
octoberkurt

Post by octoberkurt »

Hello Vince. This is Kurt. I don't mean to sound like an idiot, but if you mean a baffle, as in a seperation between the two areas to reduce snare buzz, then my '68 Ludwig has one. There is a ring inside the drum a short ways down from the top, and then it has a circular disc that sits on top of the ring. It is the same material that they used on the bottom of a canister throne. Kind of like a very hard cardboard, or the stuff pegboard is made of. I hope this helps. I am not sure what other companies did. Anyone?
<p></p><i></i>
John Mettam

Post by John Mettam »

Hey Vince,<br>
<br>
I have heard of both Ludwig and Slingerland single drums that have had baffles. I talked to a guy once that had a drum just like mine (25x14) that had a baffle and a hole in the side to prevent too much air compression of the kick side of the drum. I have not seen one myself and have yet to get a picture of one! As soon as I do, I'll post it in the pictures section.<br>
<br>
Octoberkurt, do you have any pictures of the inside of your drum?<br>
<br>
John
<p></p><i></i>
octoberkurt

Post by octoberkurt »

Hey John, this is Kurt. The way you described the drum with the hole in the side/bottom is exactly how my drum works. It has an extra air vent to let the air out from the bottom. I have a digital camera, so as soon as I get the chance, I will try to e-mail you some pictures. As I said, the date and serial numbers are stenciled in the drum in black ink. Talk to you later.
<p></p><i></i>