Custom Build Questions

filthy

Custom Build Questions

Post by filthy »

Hi,

I am planning to build my own set and I have a few questions that someone may be able to help me with. A cocktail set is a rarity in my city (part of why I want to build one) so I don't have much first hand experience with them, hence the possibly dumb questions.

3 legs or 4? 4 sounds obviously more stable, but are there problems finding a bass drum bracket that fits, or are the brackets all adjustable? Metro uses 4 legs so I guess I could get a bracket from them. Playing wise, is 4 preferred?

14" floor toms always strike me as too small on a conventional drum set so I was thinking of going with a 16" shell for my main drum. Which is preferred/better/pros-cons?

If I have a side/popcorn snare, do I need the fan snares on the top head of the main drum? I was thinking to use it as a true floor tom and rely on the side snare. Opinions?

To mount tom/snare/cymbal/cowbell, I was thinking of using floor tom leg brackets and straight or L-shaped posts. Does this work? It looks like this is pretty much what comes on most kits. I was also thinking of using Gibraltar grabber arms on the main drum legs to mount ride/crash cymbals.

I am sure I will have lots of questions as my project progresses. Your help and comments are much appreciated.

Ryan
jmettam
Site Admin

Re: Custom Build Questions

Post by jmettam »

Hi Ryan,
filthy wrote:3 legs or 4? 4 sounds obviously more stable, but are there problems finding a bass drum bracket that fits, or are the brackets all adjustable? Metro uses 4 legs so I guess I could get a bracket from them. Playing wise, is 4 preferred?
4 Will definitely be more stable but is less common. I think this is mainly because Cocktail Drums grew out of floor toms and generally did not have that much added (like side snares) until the 80s. If you are planning on adding a lot of extras in the future then 4 will make your life easier. Also remember that 4 does add a little extra weight to your drum and hardware bag if that is a concern to you.

If you are using a pedal bracket, I would find out the range of widths it will fit and build accordingly. It would be a real pain if you built the drum and then couldn't find a bracket to fit or if you bought one and then had to find a different one ofter the fact!

filthy wrote:14" floor toms always strike me as too small on a conventional drum set so I was thinking of going with a 16" shell for my main drum. Which is preferred/better/pros-cons?
I personally love 14" drums BUT that is because I use it with the top head as a snare! I think that 14 gets the best snare sound but I have a Club Jordan (15') with a side snare which has a much more traditional kick/floor tom sound. (see next response))
filthy wrote:If I have a side/popcorn snare, do I need the fan snares on the top head of the main drum? I was thinking to use it as a true floor tom and rely on the side snare. Opinions?
If you have no intention of using the main drum as a snare. I wouldn't bother adding the snare. It's just one less hassle to deal with! That said, if you are looking for flexibility and unique sounds, then go for it!
filthy wrote:To mount tom/snare/cymbal/cowbell, I was thinking of using floor tom leg brackets and straight or L-shaped posts. Does this work? It looks like this is pretty much what comes on most kits. I was also thinking of using Gibraltar grabber arms on the main drum legs to mount ride/crash cymbals.
Yup, that is the way to do it. L-posts are less flexible bt much simpler and lighter to deal with than highly adjustable tom mounts. Especially for tom/snaer mounts. Measure, test, measure, test, before mounting the brackets. If you mount them in a bad place you will always regret it!

- John
halfcocked

Post by halfcocked »

Billy Blast sells about all the parts you need,also Keller Maple shells.
He makes a bass pedal slide rail that works like a forth leg and is very stable.
His heads have built in damper rings that work great.
Look how he builds his sets to get some ideas.
I just ended up buyin a set from him instead.
[url]http:billyblastdrums.com[/url]