Parts for mounting toms/cymbals

filthy

Parts for mounting toms/cymbals

Post by filthy »

I am just about done building and assembling the bits and pieces for my first kit. I am having trouble though locating tom posts that will work. All I see from Gibraltar are L-rods. I want to have my mounting brackets attached so that the posts go in vertically, same as the floor tom legs, but all I see are L-rods, which would mean I would have to have the brackets mounted horizontally. This is more likely to slip (in my opinion) and rotate downward, so I prefer the vertical approach. (I hope this makes sense...).

The ready-to-play kits that I see all have arms/posts mounted the way I want, but I can't find individual parts like this. I am looking for a 10.5 mm S-shaped post, similar to the recent pictures posted in the "My Cocktail Kit" section of the forum by Uncle Jimmy and his Peace kit. Even straight posts would work, but I can't find anywhere to buy them individually.

Any ideas where to get this stuff? Do I need to buy the entire Gibraltar Jaw mount and just take out the posts that I want? That would suck.
robertm

Post by robertm »

One suggestion of a place to look for hardware would be www.drummaker.com. When I built my drum I found literally everything I needed there (except a bass drum pedal). Not sure I can visualize the mount you are describing but give 'em a try - there isn't much they don't have. Good luck.
Mike Strehlow

Post by Mike Strehlow »

I found a lot of my parts in a store that had a lot of used gear (Trade Up Music, Portland). I also found some "Z" rods in a store that sells a lot of percussion. (Rhythm Traders, Portland, OR). Look for a store that sells "world" percussion. I attached floor tom legs to the shell to carry the toms. Another thing you can do is buy steel rod at Home Depot and bend it. That's how I mounted my piccolo snare. I put a floor tom mount on the snare. Good luck.
zorf

Post by zorf »

item 5920 at drummaker's site might work.

You know you can bend the arms pretty easily to modify them.

I find a big bench vice helpful. If you dont have one, bring a can of cheap domestic beer
over to your nearest roughneck neighbor.

Or maybe challenge him to bend it by hand.