New to everything

vic

New to everything

Post by vic »

First off, I don't play the drums..yet. I saw a cocktail kit while surfing around on ebay and just thought it looked so danged cool that I had to have it, so for 107 bucks I'm the owner of a fairly used HB cocktail kit and I have no idea of what to do with it. It sure looks nice sitting next to my guitars though. I confess, I'm a guitar player but have always been closet jealous of drummers toys.

Anyway, its missing a few parts and I'm not sure were to start. The snare is gone. I've seen a few pics of cocktail type whisk broom snares on the site, but haven't found a place to buy them. Are the whisk broom types the shite or is the standard band type doable? and where can I buy these things? I like the idea of the floor tom/bass being used for the snare but a realize it has it's limits and problems and many go with the side snare drum instead. But I'm wanting one drum with no accessory drums and one crash cymbal...nice and clean.

Which leads me to cymbals. The mounting arm has a fecal threaded end and thats it. What parts do I need to get that going? A couple of washers and felts I suppose.

Finally how to play the dang thing. I learned guitar just by doing and watching others. Man its nice to have you tube these days. I'm having a blast banging away on the thing.
Mike Strehlow

Post by Mike Strehlow »

Hey Vic. Welcome to cocktail drumming. If you want to use one drum (snare on top, bass on bottom) you will have to install a baffle partway down in the drum to keep the bass from activating the snare. You should read through the construction section of this forum. Some people have shown us how to do it. They also show several different ways to make a brush snare and how to turn it off and on.

I'd suggest asking any drummers you know if they know a good place to get parts. A shop dedicated to drums is good if there is one in the area. You can find a lot in their used parts bin. If you can't find any look on Craigs list for people selling parts. eBay has a lot of parts listed also. You'll need a few things. Also your drummer friends can probably give you advice about how to do things, even if they don't play cocktail. They've probably fixed enough of their own stuff to get the idea.

Good luck. Post some pics of your set and let us know how it's going.
vic

Post by vic »

well, I got the snare put together...sort of. I followed the plan of Kyle Bronsdon in the construction area of the site. I went to GC, and bought a 20 strand snare for 10 bucks, and mounted it to the existing dampener as show except no quick release. I've heard trash cans that sound better. I have the "fan snare" going about 2/3rds across the drum head...maybe thats too long, or I have it too tight. But fiddleing with the adjustment just makes it sound less trash cany.

So obviously the kick sets the whole thing off, but funny thing is, the kick makes the snare sound better than the top, what;s up with that. Next project is the baffle.

Still, a fun project for a guitar guy.
Mike Strehlow

Post by Mike Strehlow »

It will sound different than a standard snare. It sounds better because when you strike the bottom head, the top becomes the resonant head, which is how a standard snare works. I started by cutting the snare in half. So now I had two to experiment with. I found the closest I could get to a real snare sound was about 1/3 of the length. I never got it to sound just like a snare, but I never used a baffle either. I just gave up and bought an inexpensive piccolo snare and mounted it to the big drum with an s shaped rod and a floor tom leg holder.

Keep experimenting though, you may find the sound you like. I think Kyle has a website with some sound samples. If he does you can see how his wound up. He may even weigh in here if he still reads the site. How about it Kyle?

Good luck.
vic

baffle

Post by vic »

I had a break through with the baffle today. After scouring the boards on how to do it I came up with my own plan and it works great, was cheap, easy and no drilling!

I went to home depot and bought some sound proofing foam. The pink 2" thick styrofoam stuff builders use to sound proof walls. It came in 2'x8' sheets and I figured I would have extra to mess up with. I pulled both skins of the main drum, traced two circles out and cut it by hand with a keyhole saw. They ended up being a very snug fit but after tamping it in place about 12" below the snare, I got the first one in place. I got the idea from the boards that different materials would dampen different sounds so next I put in a circle of blue foam sleeping bag pad I had laying around. Then another layer of the pink styrofoam...sort of an oreo cookie as others have said. They are tight enough that no real attachement is needed.They'll be a bugger to get out if it comes to that, probably have to break them but the whole sheet only cost $15

Got the skins back one and viola, no snare noise when kick the bass. I mean NO snare...works great. Even the snare sounds better than it did before...not so trash canny. The only downside is the bass isn't as boomy, more muffled. If I had a clue how to tune well and a better ear, I think it could be much better