Mounting Rail on Zim-Gar--WTF

dcharrison

Mounting Rail on Zim-Gar--WTF

Post by dcharrison »

This flat consolette on a Zim-Gar I just picked up on E-Bay looks like it might be useful, but I am not sure how.Image

The drummer would like the flexibility of being able to play it either as a cocktail drum or as a horizontal kick. Ever see this type of mount before? Any ideas how I might mount toms or a snzre to it? All comments will be greatly appreciated!
dcharrison

Still Stumped?

Post by dcharrison »

No replies? I thought this was where the cocktail elite meet!
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

Hey D.C.

I think everyone is still on vacation!

I for one have never seen a mount like that anywhere. It's kind of cool though and the bolt sticking out from the back confirms my suspicion. I'm sure it was used to mount some sort of percussion to the drum. All you need is something with a mounting arm and a hole through it to slip over the bolt and then a wing nut to tighten it down. Of course that would be a little flimsy. I would love to see what was originally mounted there. I could see having to vertical strips going up with a bar across them above the drum head for mounting things like woodblocks and cowbells.

Don't know about putting a tom on there. It would have to be pretty strong but it might work.

Let us know if you experiment with it.

Thanks

- John
Mike Strehlow

Post by Mike Strehlow »

The bolt looks like a standard carriage bolt, with the square boss under the head so it won't spin when you tighten a nut. You could probably use several of those to mount different percussion instruments, but I agree, you wouldn't want too much weight on it.
dcharrison

Post by dcharrison »

True enough about the weight. The hardware is pretty beefy, but these old japanese shells are pretty thin. I'm going to put a backplate behind it to spread the stress out. I'm still looking for just the right clamp(s) to work with the snazzy chrome consolette.

There are no snare wires on this, nor does it look like there ever were any. I was planning on attaching some snare wires to the muffler mechanism. Now that there are so many other ways to muffle a drum I don't think I'll miss it. Has anyone done a pictorial on making internal top side snares? What are the pros and cons of using the top hide as a snare versus hanging a little popcorn snare on the side?
Mike Strehlow

Post by Mike Strehlow »

In the construction section of this site is at least one, maybe more (If I remember correctly) examples of how to use a muffler as a snare mechanism. You cut a strainer in half and spread the wire out a little and attach it to the muffler arm. You can use a bolt or a pop rivet. There are lots of ways to move it on and off. They are described.

I tried this with mine and didn't like the sound much so I ended up going to a piccolo snare on the side. You may like it just fine. One thing to be aware of (if you aren't already) is the potential for the bass pedal to activate the snare. Some people have tried baffles in between the heads. There are descriptions of that too.

Good luck and send more pics.
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

dcharrison wrote:Has anyone done a pictorial on making internal top side snares?
Check out Dinkus' external snare page in the Construction section of the site:

http://www.cocktaildrum.com/learn/const ... snare.html

It may be a good way to get started and check out the top head snare option without altering the original drum in any way! Then you can play around with it, see if you like it, and if so make an internal snare.

There is also a short description with pictures of making an internal snare on my 'Travel Drum' page here:

http://www.cocktaildrum.com/learn/const ... -drum.html

Keep us posted!

- John
zorf

Post by zorf »

this is a 16 by 24 drum, right?

If so, you might want to consider a side snare.

I haven't been able to get a good snare sound out of a 16 inch cocktail, myself.

Also, if you hang stuff evenly around the drum, that helps with the balance.
dcharrison

Post by dcharrison »

Correct, Zorf. 16x24

I've heard from other people, that the "feel" of a 16 was "off" as far as a snare was concerned. It also seems certain that the snares will buzz every time you kick the bass.

I have a Japanese 14" snare in a similar gold sparkle and a concert stand that would set the snare height even with the Zimgar. Maybe that's the way to go.
zorf

Post by zorf »

keep an open mind about a smaller snare.

I've been very happy with my 12 and 13 inch snares.

All the techniques you are used to transfer over.

I feel like i can get a " real " snare sound with these, and they hang off the main drum better.

No issues with falling over.

I just love not having any extra stands.

very clean looking and less to set up.

I found the 10 inch snare too "toy" like, although it's cool for an effect.

By the way, i'm a big fan of orange glitter and sparkle wraps and japan drums.
dcharrison

3 Drums, 3 Badges, Same Gold Sparkle

Post by dcharrison »

I have managed to acquire a 12" tom and a 14" snare--both Japanese and both with different badges, but I am almost certain they came out of the same factory as my Zimgar 16x24.

If the wrap isn't identical, it's certainly close enough. The Zimgar is oldest. Over the years most of the clear coat vaporized, but as you can see from the pics, it still got that "bling."

The 12" has an old tab style mount. it's a little different from the one in the picture, but same idea. I need to find a way to bridge that mount with the oddball Zimgar consolette. What is this tab thing actually called? Is there a particular manufacturer associated with these?
Image Image

Zorf, I hear you re: 10" snares. It's a cool sound, but not for everything. I have parts for a 10" snare (rims, snare wire, throwoff--no shell, yet), but I hesitated after I played one. I could probably knockout a 12 just as easy, bbut I'd like to figure out this mounting bidness before I go too far.
zorf

Post by zorf »

if you are not handy, a local metal shop guy could fabricate something for you.

Think about a system that would just slide down onto and hang off of the rail using gravity.
You wouldn't be able to adjust it much, but it would be fast to plop it on.

Or, since these japanese drums are not super valuble, why not just install 2 or 3 floor tom leg brackets around the drum, bend some 3/8 rod, and mount a bracket on the tom and the snare?