Link to Straight 8s video on youtube

murph

Link to Straight 8s video on youtube

Post by murph »

Someone posted some videos of our first show with the new Straight 8s line-up from Saturday. Not bad for a first shot at playing these songs live together...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmkF5CJExXI

I wish the audio was better, but this will give you an idea of our sound/vibe AND see the Phattie cocktail kit in action. I never knew playing drums could be THIS fun (but I still have a long way to go to be a more effective cocktail player). This particular song doesn't feature any work on the tom, but the bass drum sounds pretty good!

-murph
dcharrison

Snare

Post by dcharrison »

Is that a concert stand holding up the snare? I just bought one and I was wondering how that worked out.
Nice groove, by the way! Kind of Rockabillious.
Mike Strehlow

Post by Mike Strehlow »

Nice!
murph

Re: Snare

Post by murph »

dcharrison wrote:Is that a concert stand holding up the snare? I just bought one and I was wondering how that worked out.
Nice groove, by the way! Kind of Rockabillious.
Thanks, guys. That was my 3rd show playing the kit (and with the band), so definitely still ironing out a number of kinks.

And yes, that is a Pearl concert stand... single braced (to keep it lighter), and also features fingers that cradle the drum (and minimize dampening the resonant head). Pearl has a name for those fingers, but I don't recall. The angle adjustment for the basket it is close to infinite, so you can really get it just where you want it.

For the style of music we play, I really felt that a full size snare was required, so the stand-alone concert stand provides very stable support that is easy to setup and can be moved around as needed.

Show #5 is next Thursday... we're opening for The Supersuckers at the Berkeley in Raleigh, NC.

Glad to see some activity again on the board!

-murph