Finally, a little sound clip of a kit...

Dennis

Finally, a little sound clip of a kit...

Post by Dennis »

Nothing fancy, just a short'n'sweet clip of a kit, recorded with a Zoom Q3, no post-processing or effects. The heads are coated remo ambassadors on the snare and tom, coated PowerStroke4 on the bass. Full size 14" hats and an 18" thin crash. Good times...wish I could hang on to one of these for myself! -D

<object><param></param><param></param><param></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aDSOigplvRw&hl ... 2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
traleeman

Post by traleeman »

Hey sounds great, what size s are all the drums?
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

The sizes in that clip are a 16"x24" main drum, 10"x8" tom, and 10"x6" snare, all 8-ply maple with dual 45-degree edges and Remo coated heads. Let me know if I can answer any other questions, thanks! -D
murph

Post by murph »

Dennis wrote:The sizes in that clip are a 16"x24" main drum, 10"x8" tom, and 10"x6" snare, all 8-ply maple with dual 45-degree edges and Remo coated heads. Let me know if I can answer any other questions, thanks! -D
Hey Dennis,

I am currently running a Remo coated Ambassador top head and a Remo (clear) Powerstoke 3 bottom head. If I recall, you shipped my 16x24 with Remo coated Powerstroke 4's top and bottom. I gotta say, to my ears, the "lighter" heads really brought the drum to life. Maybe it is too lively/ringy for some, but it just seems to resonate better. I am using one of those thin round pads where the beater strikes the bottom head (mostly to prevent wear). I also have 6-7 cotton balls tossed in the drum to dampen the bottom head just a smidge.

Anyway, I just mention all this to see if you have experimented with this combination of heads and your thoughts? And if you haven't tried it, maybe give it a whirl and see what you think.

I also wanted to ask about porting either the top or bottom head. Not a huge port, mind you.... maybe 2-3 inches? The reason I ask is because I have noticed that for some patterns and fills on the floor tom, that coincide with bass drum hits, the sound of the upper head really gets choked. I'm sure this is a natural consequence of the huge amount of air being pushed upwards from the bass stroke and opposing the stick hit from the top side.

I don't want to drill holes in the shell, but was wondering if you've done any experimentation with porting either the top or bottom head, and if you think it would help alleviate some of the choking that occurs when both heads are struck simultaneously? Porting the bottom head might be a cool feature for micing the drum, although I suspect it would weaken the head (subject to tearing). Porting the top head would create a nifty drink holder, although that would undo the benefit of porting the head. LOL

I can't say enough how much I love playing this drum... I am getting a little more adept at playing while standing... still a long way to go mind you. The head changes I described made a huge difference to my ears, and the coated Ambassador up top really seemed to make the floor-tom a lot more responsive (and ring a bit longer) Thanks for any insight you can share!

-murph
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Hey Murph,

Just saw this, I'm going to find some time within the next week to really write a good reply on all my thoughts about heads/tuning/etc. -D