COCKTAIL KIT FOR JAZZ

nemhserf2001

COCKTAIL KIT FOR JAZZ

Post by nemhserf2001 »

I’ve been experimenting with a cocktail kit in low volume “introspective” jazz settings, to see if I could adapt my technique and style to the more portable, higher-pitched kit. I’m really drawn to the ease of packing and transport, plus the challenge of making the most music with the fewest drum components. Peter Erskine does wondrous things with his Club Jordan, and so I know the possibilities are there, even for someone not at his talent level. I assembled a "Frankenstein" kit, using a PDP 6X10 snare; two Yamaha Stage Custom floor toms joined near the rim with hardware and bolts from Home Depot; an old Tama cymbal stand for an 18” Paiste crash/ride; a Gibraltar mini-hi-hat rig to hold a 13” Zildjian crash; a converted Ludwig bass drum pedal; and various hardware doodads from Gibraltar. It’s only a test kit, but after a month of practicing I learned that, among other surprises, the high-hat “chick” isn’t missed as long as the drummer puts a little accent on the 2 and 4 on the snare or cymbal, and standing up to play is something you get used to IF you learn to occasionally lean on the left foot to relieve stress on the right. Still need to work on my standup bass drum technique, and hope to gett more nuances (rim shots, changes in pitch, etc.) out of the small snare. If I make the commitment to cocktail drumming in actual public jazz performances, I may eventually purchase a high-end rig. But, for now, it sure is fun assembling my own kit from old, little-used drum parts. Gotta love E-Bay! I posted a video on YouTube if you want to see the kit in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGQpeHpaT10
SRT80

Post by SRT80 »

Welcome to the forum and cool kit. I'm pretty new here myself.

Nice playin' too. I love that jazz sound. Nice work with the brushes.

Steve
nemhserf2001

Post by nemhserf2001 »

Thanks for the comment, Steve. I'm planning to keep practicing and experimenting with the "do it yourself" kit, and will post from time to time on any surprises or lessons learned. This website is a great help to keep all of us motivated and inspired. Hope to read a lot of posts from you in the future.
murph

Post by murph »

Wow... great playing and the kit sounds awesome. The youtube vid comments also indicate you played/recorded the piano/bass parts? You are one talented (and resourceful) musician! Looking forward to more vids as your kit and (standing) technique continue to evolve.

-murph
nemhserf2001

Post by nemhserf2001 »

Thanks for the kind words, Murph. So far, I've only played the cocktail kit in controlled (i.e., "solitary") settings, such as in multitracked exderiments. I'm planning to try it out with other jazz musicians in a few weeks, to see their reaction to the kit's sound. I'll keep you and the others posted.

nemhserf2001