A couple of Pictures Just for Fun

jmettam
Site Admin

A couple of Pictures Just for Fun

Post by jmettam »

Hey All,

I did a gig last weekend at a great little club in Brooklyn called Barbes. They have a nice little stage with red curtains. Perfect for a Cocktail Drum.

It's very dark so the pictures did not come out so well but thought it was worth a post anyway.

Enjoy!

- John

robertm

Re: A couple of Pictures Just for Fun

Post by robertm »

Hey John. It's cool to see a "weapon of choice" in an actual performance setting. I take it your cocktail drum carries well enough to not need amplification on such a gig? Thanks for posting.

?
zorf

Post by zorf »

hey John,
did you wrap the kids bongos with some ez film wrap?
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

did you wrap the kids bongos with some ez film wrap?
Hey Zorf,

Good eye! Yes, that's exactly what I did! There is a place on Canal street in Manhattan (Canal Plastics) that sells sheets of sticky -backed glitter wrap/contact paper. So simple and it looks great! I don't mind doing it on those cheap-o bongos and I can change it up if I'm in the mood for a different color. I guess I should get an nicer looking bungie cord :P

Robert: yeah, the room is very small and you can see the size of the bass amp in the second picture. The kick drum sounds plenty big and everything cuts nicely. We were playing with upright piano and acoustic bass, both amplified.

- John
zorf

Post by zorf »

i love small room gigs. much nicer to play ( and listen) at that volume thinks me.
Remo makes great stuff, but their finishes are not my cup of tea.
SRT80

Post by SRT80 »

Could you please tell me where I could find a cymbal arm like that? The one with the crash/ride cymbal?

I ordered a meinl arm, that looked similar to that, but it's too short. I would have to put the mount too close to the rim of the drum and even if I did that, the cymbal is still too close to the head/hoop of drum.

Get what I'm sayin'?

Steve
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

SRT80 wrote:Could you please tell me where I could find a cymbal arm like that? The one with the crash/ride cymbal?

Hi Steve,

The cymbal mount/arm is a Gibraltar:

http://r.popshops.com/r/MmNidThSd2I1Y1J ... 9OeXkzcz0K

It has a couple of nice features over the LP claw although it is a bit more bulky and heavier. It has a ratchet adjustment that lets you controll the angle of the cymbal plus the rim mount is a more secure system.

I don't know how long the arm is but take a close look at my setup and be aware that my cymbal is a 14" crash! So, the arm is not that long. I would say 6-8" or so. If you put an 18-20" cymbal on it it will definitely hang over the drum head!

- John
SRT80

Post by SRT80 »

Cool. No, the problem I was running into is my z arm is too short. Meaning the cymbal sits too low and close to the head. I needed a z arm that would let the cymbal sit higher. Looks like this gibraltar might do the trick. I would want to just remove the arm and use my own mount though. Will check my local guitar center to see if they have em in stock.

Steve