Gonna go a different route...

SRT80

Gonna go a different route...

Post by SRT80 »

I'm still gonna have a cocktail kit built just gonna put it on hold for a bit. The snare has been completed and is nice. I have everything needed for the cocktail drum. But the wrap is gonna be $75 and then there is labor costs of drilling, edges, wrapping, etc. So, I'm puttin' it on hold and gonna use this...

I have a snare and bass from a Pearl Rhythm traveler kit. Love the sizes. 20x8 kick and 13x5 snare. I was using these drums for my electronic kit, but no longer using it so I had my drum guy wrap these 2 pieces in gold glass glitter because he had some scrap that was just enough for these 2 and he made me a deal. He also plugged the old tom mount holes so it's now a "virgin" kick.

I'm gonna use this as a stand up kit because, I just feel better standing up. When I sit and play and can't keep good posture and play good at the same time. Probably sounds weird. I tend to slouch and my back starts hurting. But I can play standing up and stay comfortable.

I was kind of thinking of getting a tom mount and mount on the bass to mount the snare. Like the old Ludwig gold coast 2 piece kits. Like what Karen Carpenter always plays in her drum videos. But with the snare centered, its kind of uncomfortable. I couldn't get used to tryin' a standard cocktail drum with the snare on main drum. Just feels better if the snare is off to the side some.

I thought I could get a boom basket Taye snare stand, but they are like $80. So I think I'm just gonna stick with a regular snare stand and add a cymbal stand with grabber arm to mount 2 cymbals on 1 stand for the other side. I play traditional country/rockabilly and snare/bass is all I need. I might even do a cymbal stand with 16" crash ride and get a hi hat boom arm to mount on the grabber to add some 12" hats.

The 20"x8" kick drum sounds awesome. And the snare isn't that bad either. I've talked too much. here's the drums...

MusicMan

Re: Gonna go a different route...

Post by MusicMan »

Hi,

Your little set up looks nice.

Do you have any issues with that shallow kick drum "creeping" since it doesn't have any weight on top of it?

MM
SRT80

Post by SRT80 »

If by creeping you mean moving forward, no. But it does rock a little when playing. I'm seriously considering just mounting the snare on the kick though. Wonder if that would help the little bit of rocking?

Steve
SRT80

Post by SRT80 »

A buddy of mine has some type of spur that mounts to the front hoop. I think I will try that to see if it will help with the rocking.

Steve
MusicMan

Post by MusicMan »

Hi,

That sounds like it might work. However, it would probably be better to secure the heal of the pedal.

The drum might still be a little too light and top-heavy for one of those front hoop mounts to keep it steady. You might find that the drum doesn't rock "forward" with the hoop mount, but it might tend to move toward the left or right.

Do the spurs have a spike in them? You might consider getting some new spurs that have a spike instead of the rubber tip.

My cocktail kit is very heavy, but I still need the spikes on my kick pedal to keep it from sliding forward when I'm playing. I use one of those spike attatchments that is used to secure the remote pedal of a doulbe kick drum pedal.

MM
SRT80

Post by SRT80 »

Yea, I don't know. I thought it was a front hoop spur like Gibraltar (with spikes). But what he had was the spur for the pedal so I didn't try it.

I've noticed it rocks more on carpet. I put the drum on my hardwood floor with regular thin drum rug under it and it didn't rock as bad. My cocktail pedal stays in place fine as long as there is velcro under the flat base and the pedal is on a rug. Doesn't slide forward any.

Steve