Tiki Cocktail Set

privateidaho

Tiki Cocktail Set

Post by privateidaho »

Hi, long time lurker now joining your community.

I mainly play trap set but I wanted a second set for smaller, quieter gigs. Instead of getting a smaller version of a conventional drumset (what's the use of getting a drumset if I already HAVE a drumset?), I took the plunge and got a cocktail kit from www.hbdrums.com. It came with a black metal flake plastic wrap that wasn't very remarkable and started warping when left next to a window. I really got the drums for the awesome birch ply shells.

I headed over to www.spoonflower.com and searched out patterns for tiki, cocktail, retro and 1950s. I finally settled on this pattern, Tiki Freaks, and wrapped the drum in it and put three coats of varnish over it. I also upgraded the stock cymbals, which were terrible and suitable for maybe scraping ice off your windshield or a bedpan. I sold the foot pedal on Craigslist and modified a spare DW 5000.

The Tiki Cocktail set is the result. It has a 16 by 24 combo tom/bass drum, a 10 by 5 tom, an 8 by 5 tom, a 10 by 4 snare, Meinl Classics 10 mini-hats, a 14 Sabian B8 bottom hat for a dwarf ride and a 12 Zildjian Z series splash for a crash and a cowbell. The 8 by 5 tom was originally the snare but it sounded lousy so I got a Pearl M80 snare and converted the 8 by 5 drum to an extra tom. I added extra three extra mounting brackets to hold everything and did some custom modification of the hardware to get it all in there.

I can carry this entire set in one trip! It sounds beautiful, mellower than a full drum set and perfect for sidewalk busking and coffeehouse gigs. Cocktail sets are rare and eccentric and I have gotten many compliments on the drum, its sound and its attitude.

Tom E. Gunn

Re: Tiki Cocktail Set

Post by Tom E. Gunn »

That looks down-right FUN!

Nice job!
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

Beautiful job! There is nothing like having a one-of-a-kind drum!

- John
MusicMan

Post by MusicMan »

Hi,

Yes, beautiful kit. I like the modifications you made. Do you play open-handed?

MM :)
privateidaho

Post by privateidaho »

MusicMan wrote:Hi,

Yes, beautiful kit. I like the modifications you made. Do you play open-handed?

Yes, left hand hats and ride. I have a conventional drum set and I play this way as well. I have my ride cymbal on my left, so the snare, hats and ride are close together. My first drum instructor played open handed, saying that is the most logical way to play drums because nobody types, eats, drives, uses tools or plays any other instrument crossing their hands.
Pfunk

Post by Pfunk »

Man, that kit is a beauty :mrgreen: !! Awesome, you have a PM sir :wink: ....
MusicMan

Post by MusicMan »

Hi,

I also play open-handed, but the problem I'm having with my cocktail set up is that putting the ride and hi hat cymbals on one side of the kit puts quite a bit of weight to the one side (since the snare is on that side too).