My UltraPhonic Cocktail drum

boobus

My UltraPhonic Cocktail drum

Post by boobus »

Hi all... long time lurker but I'm active on other forums for drum building. I thought I'd show a few pics and share a link to a cocktail drum I built recently. You can see more pictures at: http://ultra-phonic.blogspot.com/2011/1 ... ktail.html. Please note there is a sound sample at the bottom of the blog entry.

I modeled it after the Club Jordan configuration, but with some differences.

Keller all-maple shells:
8-ply 24x15
6-ply 5x10
6-ply 5x8

All 1.6mm Cannon hoops. FIBES lugs and bracket/mounts.
The cymbal arm is a Z-rod from LP that I bent into the shape you see that approximates the cymbal arm on the Club Jordan. I mounted a Gibraltar X-hat to the top for a small hi-hat.

Instead of a snare on top for the main drum, I installed a dial tone control, which very effectively changes the tone of the top head AND the bass drum.

The two small drums are mounted from Z-rod type brackets and so they can be swung around into different playing positions, but they can't be tilted. I don't mind. Each of these drums is a snare/tom and have an internal fan snare wire that I fabricated out of dial-tone controls and old snare wire. They both sound good as a snare, but I like to use the 10" as the snare and the 8" as the high tom. Since there is no strainer, it takes a few seconds to dial the snare on/off but I wanted to keep them as light as possible since they're hanging off the side.
Attachments
IMG_0575.jpg
IMG_0575.jpg (187.03 KiB) Viewed 10283 times
IMG_0560.jpg
IMG_0560.jpg (178.69 KiB) Viewed 10283 times
IMG_0558.jpg
IMG_0558.jpg (215.67 KiB) Viewed 10283 times
privateidaho

Re: My UltraPhonic Cocktail drum

Post by privateidaho »

Very nice! I'd like to see some photos. The champagne sparkle finish is terrific.

How do you like the internal fan snares? I thought they always sounded awful but maybe I never learned how to use them.
boobus

Post by boobus »

@idaho

It's silver sparkle, not champagne.

Also there are photos posted, can't you see them?

Go to my website, it's ease than trying to navigate this one: http://ultra-phonic.blogspot.com/2011/1 ... ktail.html
privateidaho

Post by privateidaho »

OK, for some reason it appears a little pink in some of the photos. Maybe reflecting something in the room?

Really great sound on the set on your blog. Nothing like putting your own set together. I kind of did that with mine. It's an HB kit and I removed the hideous wrap, put my own wrap and added some extra hardware and another snare. I'll bet you ordered your shells to your own specs, though, from Keller.
boobus

Post by boobus »

sorry for the delay in replying...

I actually sold this kit at the Chicago Drum show on consignment. The blog has been updated with a pic of the happy buyer. Hopefully anyway.

To be honest, the fan snares aren't the greatest but they aren't bad. I figure for a stand-up kit like this you're making a lot of compromises anyway, so I was okay with it.

They were Keller shells, yes. Actually I got them as seconds (covered grade) pretty cheap, so not too much. The tone controls from an old MIJ kit from the 70s. And the legs and lugs were bought second-hand as well. In all, about $300 invested, and sold it to break even.
MusicMan

Post by MusicMan »

Hi Boobus,

I hadn't seen this thread before but I like your Cocktail build. Everything looks nice and compact and sturdy. However, I couldn't tell from the photos whether or not the BETA mic was mounted inside or outside of the shell.

I'm finishing up my first build this month and am hoping to finally get some pictures up on the forum here when it is finished. I just ordered the little rug to put underneath it this week.

MM :)
boobus

Post by boobus »

Sorry for the slow reply (I don't come here much)... the Beta 52 is outside the drum.