Billy Blast Taxi Cab Cocktail + Mini Set

Post by halfcocked »

Here's one of Billy's latest cocktail drums! Image
Billy's smallest Mini Set yet!
My New Mini Set from Billy Blast. http://www.billyblastdrums
Tom E. Gunn

Re: Billy Blast Taxi Cab Cocktail + Mini Set

Post by Tom E. Gunn »

Taxi Cab Kit: The only thing I'm not crazy about is the double track brackets used to secure the bass drum pedal. I don't understand the concept: Why is it so high up on the drum shell? Would someone want to raise up their pedal 15 inches? Also, it really detracts from the shell finish.
halfcocked

Post by halfcocked »

The track is in 2 parts, it slides up the upper half to retract for transport. Also the main drum opens in half and all of the smaller drums can be stored inside for transport. One piece in one bag. Looks? It is on the back side of the drum during a proformence.
privateidaho

Post by privateidaho »

Whoa, what a pimp set! Themes and motifs generally look good on a cocktail set. Check out my Tiki Kit here.

Never seen concert toms on a cocktail kit and the rail mount is unusual. Very outstanding kit all the way around.
MusicMan

Post by MusicMan »

privateidaho wrote:Whoa, what a pimp set! Themes and motifs generally look good on a cocktail set. Check out my Tiki Kit here.

Never seen concert toms on a cocktail kit and the rail mount is unusual. Very outstanding kit all the way around.
Hi,

I like the "taxi cab" concept of the finish, but I think it would be hard to reach the two concert toms or get good placement of cymbals and/or percussion on that kit. Moreover, if the toms are going to sit all the way out in front of the cocktail drum, why not just make them a couple inches deeper and use the bottom heads for better sound?

I also don't understand why there is such an elaborate "rail" system to hold the kick drum pedal. I use a Pearl PS85 pedal stabilizer that works just was well as any of the more elaborate brackets. It's a simple device that clamps on the front of any drum or hi-hat pedal to keep it from moving around.

The "mini set" doesn't make sense to me either. Why use a 14x14 kick drum with a 13x13 floor tom (especially when it is difficult to find 14" heads for a bass drum)? It think it would make more sense to use a 16x14 or 16x16 size for the kick drum and cut the floor tom down to 9-11" deep.

MM :)
halfcocked

Post by halfcocked »

Guess thats whats so cool about the cocktail Drums & and the Lounge site! There are no set rules or guidelines about building em! New creations every day! Different strokes for different folks! Fresh minds!