Bruce the K's home-brew cocktail kit part 1

Bruce (the K)

Bruce the K's home-brew cocktail kit part 1

Post by Bruce (the K) »

Greetings, all you hep cats!

After long delay, I've got the photos to lay on you all about the cocktail kit I made to replace my Peace Manhattan kit. I posted earlier about the full-size (outdoor) stand-up set I made from a Ludwig Fusion kit. I had a 14 x 14 floor tom, a 10 x 8 tom, and a 14 x 5 snare left over so I made them into a matching white with black hardware indoor kit. I call it the Cube because it has 3 drum elements (kick, tom, and snare), three cymbal elements (hi hats, splash, and crash/ride), and 3 percussion elements (cow bell, wood block, and tambourine). Nine = three cubed. Get it?

I've got plenty of pictures but I'm not sure how many I can post with each message so I'm going to break it up into several messages.

Part one:
Photo 1 - My 14 x 14 six-lug floor tom/kick drum, with 8 Gibraltar floor tom leg clamps mounted. I mounted three near the top head to connect the snare and 5 near the bottom head. I replaced the three original clamps and added two more so I could put 4 legs on it, two on either side. The fifth clamp doesn't do anything. I just wanted all the clamps to match. I guess I could still use it as a floor tom with 3 legs if I ever wanted to.
ECON 101 prefance 035s.jpg
ECON 101 prefance 035s.jpg (73.6 KiB) Viewed 6179 times
Photo 2 - The kick drum with 3 legs and the DW Sidekick pedal leg attached.
ECON 101 prefance 037s.jpg
ECON 101 prefance 037s.jpg (84.23 KiB) Viewed 6179 times
Photo 3 - The kick drum right side up with the DW Sidekick pedal attached and the Evans Soundoff pad on the top head. This cuts down on snare rattles when I use the pedal on the kick drum.
ECON 101 prefance 039s.jpg
ECON 101 prefance 039s.jpg (80.14 KiB) Viewed 6179 times
I'm going to submit this and see how it looks.

Bruce the K
MusicMan

Re: Bruce the K's home-brew cocktail kit part 1

Post by MusicMan »

Hi Bruce,

Good ideas. I used to have a cocktail kit with the snare mounted directly above the floor tom and it really helped to put the Sound Off in between the two drums.

MM :)