My DXP Ludwig Hybrid ..

Shaunhavoc

My DXP Ludwig Hybrid ..

Post by Shaunhavoc »

Hi everyone, this is my cocktail kit. The idea was to split the cocktail shell in two so each half fits inside tom cases and have all the other hardware and drums packed inside. This enables me to play small gigs and only having to carry 2 cases and a cymbal back pack. The Ultimate Compact set up!
The shells have a matching mirror imaged 45 deg edge that lock together for a seamless finish using quality polished stainless latches. Mark Orr my drum builder was going to use the Yamaha method of a stepped 90 deg internal join but it weakens the wall of the shell at that point.With the full width 45 we have full strength in the shell and its holding perfect shape when clamped secure. There are 3 aluminium guide plates that also add strength to the hook and latch section.
Still experimenting with heads, since a fellow player put me on to this forum ive got some head choice ideas flowing.
Attachments
split.jpg
split.jpg (74.72 KiB) Viewed 8632 times
cocktail now 3.jpg
cocktail now 3.jpg (68.87 KiB) Viewed 8632 times
cocktail now.jpg
cocktail now.jpg (68.69 KiB) Viewed 8632 times
thall

Re: My DXP Ludwig Hybrid ..

Post by thall »

Looks great man! What are the dimensions? It looks like maybe a 14" main drum... 14" snare and 10" tom attached? Also, I love the pics showing how everything is mounted, can you get one more from the front with everything setup? AWESOME!
robertm

Post by robertm »

Great looking, very inventive way of making it portable. I would think the sound from it is quite full.
Shaunhavoc

Post by Shaunhavoc »

Thanks guys, the main drum is 15 diameter and 24 tall, it was originally 25 inches tall. we took an inch out to allow for the use of 1 full sheet of the black oyster wrap. Its sounds pretty good with the Evans heads. I'm about to try some coated PS4 heads top and bottom, I also have a PS3 for the top if the dual PS4 heads proves to be too much. The snares a 14 inch Ludwig classic maple from my main kit. The 10 inch hanging off the side is also the classic maple 10" tom off my main kit, this ones had snare beds cut and a P85 snare mechanism/puresound wires fitted. I can take the rig with just the 10 inch tom snare or cart some extra stuff and use the 14 snare.
MusicMan

Post by MusicMan »

HI,

Nice work. I really like that wrap and how everything is mounted "clean." The little cowbell mounted from the hi-hat rod is a great idea too.

MM :)