My modified 'arena-rock' cocktail kit

Bruce (the K)

My modified 'arena-rock' cocktail kit

Post by Bruce (the K) »

I wanted to post some photos of the latest version of my 'arena-rock' outdoor, full-size, full-volume stand-up/cocktail drum set. I've already posted photos of this set but I realized that I didn't have to keep lugging a hi-hat stand and two cymbal stands if I made a few modifications. You'll notice that this is the same set-up as my micro cocktail kit, just with bigger drums and cymbals.
Attachments
Cocktail drum photos 028s.jpg
Cocktail drum photos 028s.jpg (85.44 KiB) Viewed 8041 times
Cocktail drum photos 029s.jpg
Cocktail drum photos 029s.jpg (82.77 KiB) Viewed 8041 times
Cocktail drum photos 030s.jpg
Cocktail drum photos 030s.jpg (84.54 KiB) Viewed 8041 times
Bruce (the K)

Re: My modified 'arena-rock' cocktail kit

Post by Bruce (the K) »

Here are some shots showing my crash-ride cymbal and hi-hat holders. Same approach as on my micro kit, with bracing rods, shaft collars, and, for the hi-hats, a coupling nut joining the top part that holds the cymbals to the bottom part that clamps to the bass drum. The hi-hat holder tends to sway just a little when I'm playing it but the crash-ride cymbal holder is totally solid.

I play this set when we're gigging outdoors and I need more volume. (We don't mic the drums so I have to keep up with the guitar and bass volume 'naturally.') I had to give up one cymbal compared to the old set-up but I was more than willing to do that if it meant not having to lug extra hardware around.

This set fits into three bags: one bag for my bass drum and 17 inch crash-ride cymbal, one bag for my snare drum, tom tom, and hi-hats, (with a circular piece of plywood between the two drums), and a utility bag for the hardware. I can easily carry the whole set in one trip from car to stage and back. Sweet!
Attachments
Here's the hi-hat holder. Notice the coupling nut holding the two rods together.
Here's the hi-hat holder. Notice the coupling nut holding the two rods together.
Cocktail drum photos 032s.jpg (85.88 KiB) Viewed 8040 times
Here's the crash-ride cymbal holder.
Here's the crash-ride cymbal holder.
Cocktail drum photos 031s.jpg (94.71 KiB) Viewed 8040 times
MusicMan

Re: My modified 'arena-rock' cocktail kit

Post by MusicMan »

Hi Bruce,

Another creative set-up. Keep up the good work!

MM :)