My new to me Custom Peace Manhattan kit

Peacer

My new to me Custom Peace Manhattan kit

Post by Peacer »

Hi all. New member here. Just bought a new coctail kit.
It's a Peace Manhattan kit re-wrapped with snake skin. How cool is that?

I'm pretty excited and have lots to learn and some accessories to buy.
I will post some questions to discussion thread after trying to search first.

First task is to find/buy mini hats and small crash/ride.
I've been thinking about two 10" splashes and heavy 16" crash.
How does that sound for you more experienced coctailers?

Thanks for reading!
tikifreak

Re: My new to me Custom Peace Manhattan kit

Post by tikifreak »

Cool snakeskin! I would recommend not going too heavy on the 16" cymbal. I have used a Zildjian 16" Armand Thin Crash on my mini kit and find that it sounds remarkably similar to one of my 20" rides. That 16" weighs 950 grams. The lighter weight will give it a larger sound (lower pitch).

-Tikifreak
Peacer

Post by Peacer »

Hi and thanks for the tip.

I have a Zildjian K 16" Dark Thin Crash. I play mostly with brushes and with my larger kit the K 16" doesn't sound very good as a ride. I like it as a crash though. Maybe it works better with the coctail kit. Need to try it first when I get the kits to same place.

I went to local music store and tried out some heavier crashes. I think thicker crashes feel more like a ride with brushes than thinner ones. Guess I need to experiment some more and listen some Youtube clips. I'm trying to keep the kit as compact as possible. 14" crash/ride would be optimal size but I'm not sure if it would sound good.

Would be nice to hear more what kind rides/cymbals everyone is using, especially small ones.
Pfunk

Post by Pfunk »

tikifreak wrote:Cool snakeskin! I would recommend not going too heavy on the 16" cymbal. I have used a Zildjian 16" Armand Thin Crash on my mini kit and find that it sounds remarkably similar to one of my 20" rides. That 16" weighs 950 grams. The lighter weight will give it a larger sound (lower pitch).

-Tikifreak
Agreed. Lighter is better and not overpowering for this kit.
Pfunk

Post by Pfunk »

Peacer wrote:Hi all. New member here. Just bought a new coctail kit.
It's a Peace Manhattan kit re-wrapped with snake skin. How cool is that?

I'm pretty excited and have lots to learn and some accessories to buy.
I will post some questions to discussion thread after trying to search first.

First task is to find/buy mini hats and small crash/ride.
I've been thinking about two 10" splashes and heavy 16" crash.
How does that sound for you more experienced coctailers?

Thanks for reading!
Congrats on the 'new' Kit. Looks very cool! Did you wrap it yourself or did you buy it like that?
I bought the same kit last spring and upgraded a little bit here and there, including new heads, cymbals and a 'wrap' as well.

I'm currently using Soultone Cymbals in which I got used in a smoking deal off Craigslist. 16" Extreme Crash, 13" Custom Brilliant Hi-Hats and he threw in the Cymbal Bag and some extra hardware. Bought a little splash for cheap too. Check out the pics :mrgreen: !
A 'backyard' gig we had last month had me on 'rough-terrain'!
Have fun,
Paul
Attachments
SoutloneCymbalBag.jpg
SoutloneCymbalBag.jpg (5.34 KiB) Viewed 11328 times
SoultoneCymbals.jpg
SoultoneCymbals.jpg (6.38 KiB) Viewed 11328 times
CocktailKit - Luau2015.jpg
CocktailKit - Luau2015.jpg (11.09 KiB) Viewed 11328 times
Peacer

Post by Peacer »

I bought the kit rewrapped. I didn't have a plan to buy a coctail kit, but it looked so cool, I couldn't resist :)

I decided not to buy new cymbals for now. I'm using my Zildjian K 16" dark thin crash, K 10" splash and K 14" hihats. Not the most compact set of cymbals but I love the K series, so I'm happy with the sound. Next task is to replace the heads and try to build a cable hihat of some kind. Fun stuff!
Peacer

Post by Peacer »

Did some upgrades to my kit. Bought Gibraltar X-hihat and cymbal boom with clamps. Now I can get cymbals where I want them to be. Here is image with new heads, Zildjian K 14" hihat with tambourine, 18" Dark thin crash and 10" Splash. I also replaced the bass drum beater to Vater Vintage Bomber. It's almost perfect now. Tom holder is the only thing I'm going to replace. Oh well, think I need smaller hats... :)
image.jpg
image.jpg (30.61 KiB) Viewed 11297 times
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

Very Nice!!

- John