My Meinl cajon drum set

Bruce (the K)

My Meinl cajon drum set

Post by Bruce (the K) »

I'm still a dyed-in-the-wool cocktail drummer who prefers playing drums standing up. However, I'm also a committed minimalist who can't stand carrying anything extra. I'm also into playing at low volume to accompany acoustic, vocal-harmony-focused music. All that to say, I've stumbled onto the cajon drum set scene.

I've never owned a drummer's throne but, if I'm carrying a cajon to the gig, I don't see anything wrong with sitting on it once I'm there. I didn't have much of what I needed to make a cajon-centered drum set so I got a Meinl build-your-own cajon kit, a cajon snare drum and a low hi-hat cymbal stand to clamp the cajon snare to. I have 12-inch hats for my cocktail kit but I got 10-inch Stagg hats for this set-up. I also needed a cajon pedal so I could play the cajon itself as my bass drum, leaving both my hands free to play the snare and hi-hat, using bundled Cool Rods.

Cajon pedals are a scene in themselves, with lots of interesting variations in how they do the job. After some research, I settled on the Meinl direct-drive 'pedal,' which has this weird curved bar instead of a pedal. It looks strange but it is very simple mechanically and I got used to it very quickly. Many of the other pedals use cables to connect a conventional pedal to the beater assembly and there are lots of complaints about their 'feel' and about the cables breaking during gigs. There are also more complex direct-drive pedals that are much more expensive so I decided to keep it simple. No regrets on that, so far.

I added a 14-inch floor tom with an extra clamp to hold a crash/ride cymbal on a 3/8 inch rod with a cymbal holder on the end. I don't want the full volume of the tom so I use Ringo's 'tea-towel' approach: I use double-sided mounting tape to hold an old towel cut to fit the top of the tom and that gives me a volume similar to the rest of the kit. Basically, I have a 3-piece kit (cajon bass, cajon snare, and conventional-but-muffled floor tom, with little hi-hats, a Meinl jingle ring, and a crash-ride cymbal).

I soon tired of lugging the low hi-hat stand, since I never really learned to play a hi-hat pedal (I needed my left foot to stand on while I played the kick drum with my right foot). I've since gotten rid of it and I now use the bottom half of a mic stand to hold my cajon snare and the passive hi-hat set-up from my cocktail drum set. That's the set you can see in the attached pictures.

I'm using this set-up for busking with two (unamplified) acoustic guitars and an acoustic bass guitar played through a little 10-watt battery-powered Joyo bass amp (just so we can hear it at all). The volume of this kit is perfect for that kind of unamplified situation, although I know others with similar set-ups who use a mic or two and a little amp to keep up with louder, amplified instruments.

Just another way to get creative with my drums, something cocktail drum kits (and this site) got me started on.
Attachments
Busking set 2b.jpg
Busking set 2b.jpg (43.34 KiB) Viewed 2185 times
Busking set 1b.jpg
Busking set 1b.jpg (45.81 KiB) Viewed 2185 times