Dave Randall Vintage Cocktail Setup

jmettam
Site Admin

Dave Randall Vintage Cocktail Setup

Post by jmettam »

John,

I've enjoyed the web site for a while now and thought it was time to send you a photo of my setup. The cocktail drum itself is a Ludwig from about 1965, serial numbered keystone badge, but the inside of the shell has a natural interior and is not painted white. 16"X24". I bought the drum over Ebay from the second owner in SC. Included were the original heads, pedal and mounting bracket. After finding a cymbal arm, I started playing the drum out and loved playing standing up with the band and not behind it, sitting down. After reading everything on your web site I knew I wanted more than just the basic cocktail drum setup. As a collector of gold sparkle Ludwig drums from the 60's I already had the bongos. I also wasn't happy with the snare sound and knew that Ludwig didn't make small snare drums during that time period, but still I wanted a companion snare. I took my idea to Joe McSweeny of Eames Drums for a look alike snare with vintage hardware. I'ts a 4 ply birch shell, 5 1/2X 10" covered in gold sparkle wrap, and it sounds great. I then stacked a 14" crash over my 18" ride and things began to take shape. A pair of closed high-hats were then added. I still wanted a small tom sound and was able to find a 10" Ludwig concert tom of the same vintage. All mounts used were vintage Ludwig, though I had to cut and bend some newer mounting arms for everything to work. It turned out to be a great looking and sounding cocktail set. One that looks vintage and for the most part is vintage. Look for me playing the blues jams in the Northeast. I travel every week as a salesman and usually have the set in the back of the van.

Dave Randall

Last edited by jmettam on Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave

Post by Dave »

The cocktail drum is 16"X24" Not 15X15 Dave Randall