MY NEW 10"MINI COCKTAIL DRUM

MY NEW 10"MINI COCKTAIL DRUM

Post by Guest »

Hi,Every one!
Good news!My new 10"x26 mini cocktail drum already completed on 07-01-2005.
thks!
Regard,
PETER LAU
jmettam
Site Admin

Mini Cocktail

Post by jmettam »

Excellent Peter!

Send me some pictures please!

John
PETER LAU

10"cocktail drum's pictures.

Post by PETER LAU »

Hi,John!
I try to send you my drum's photo.But got problem sending it out.(Keep on rejected!)Did you change your email address?Kindly assist.
Thanks
Regards,
PETER LAU
PETER LAU

Post by PETER LAU »

Hi,John & Every one there!
Well!Just want to share a little bit story of my drum:-
Main Drum: 10"x26(3ply)
Tom : 8"x4(I cut it!)
Lugs & floor tom legs :Remove it from my old Pearl 10"tom(lugs)Floor tom legs/bracket is
from my old Tama SwingStar floor tom.
Hi-Hat :8"thin splash(Top)8"china heavy bell(Bottom)(In the picture)
Note:I have replace a 8"(Cut out from a broken 16"SABIAN Medium Crash)as
the bottom hat!(It sound good when using WHIP,Brushes.)
Cymbal :12"PASITE Splash(medium)as my Ride/Crash.(It sound good when using
WHIP & Brushes)
I try using 12"Hi-Hat & 14"crash/ride!since this drum is very small,I prefer using smaller
Hi-Hat/Cymbal.(Looks cute!)
I'm using Taiwan make multi clamp on the Hi-Hat.LP Cymbal clamp for the 12"cymbal.(I get my friend's help to made a "T"kind of pipe and fix it on the drum shell inorder to clamp the Hi-Hat)
Drum Head :Old Sonor White Coated on Snare(Tune it very tight!)Remo Pinstripe for the
Bass(tune it very loose/no muffle).I have replace a new 8"Remo White
coated for the Tom.(Old 8" Remo Head in the picture)

Chamber :Yes!(I always like Keith's idea very much!)Snare(4")andBass(22")There's a
1.5mm thin ply in between.(Using Wood silicon to glue it-Air Tight!)No matter
how hard I play the Bass drum.The Snare just stay silence!
Others:Self Make Bass Pedal Bracket(Flat Bar/Pipe Bracket/Bolt&nuts!)
I bent a "V"sharp(small Metal stripe-Normally use for Packing!)attached a Old
Snare Fan(I cut it!)then I spread it wide open like a "Fan"!(Slighly tuching the Snare
Head)I can get 3 sound from the Snare(Hit on the Centre,Between Centre & Edge,
near the Edge)
OK!I still have a Old Tama Cable Hi-Hat,Then I though,"No more Cable Hi-Hat this
time"So I decide to make a "Pedal-Rine"to act as my Hi-Hat.(This idea is by looking
at my Guitar player's old wah-wah box.Then a "Idea"just pop out from my head.
Remove all the "Jingles"from my old Tumborine.Get a plywood and cut out a
"Footboard"then attached(Screw)all the "Jingles" to the board.I also attahced a
Spring so that the FootBoard can move "Up-Down"a bit.The whole idea is just like
you're using you left foot to tap the Tomburine!It's very light and easy to carry
around!(I play"Sitting"position on this drum!)
Thanks you.
PETER LAU
jmettam
Site Admin

... and here are the pictures!

Post by jmettam »

SJB05

Post by SJB05 »

I especially like the pedalrine - how does it work for doing 16ths? Also, how did the china sound as the bottom hat? And Damn is that a big bell - i dont know if ive even seen a bell on a china before. What brand is it?
mangorockfish

Post by mangorockfish »

Damn Son!! You like those tall, skinny drums, don;t cha ; and I thought my 14"er was skinny. I would love to play and hear one of those bad boys. Looks like you did a great job. Congrats on both of them. :D
Mangorockfish
PETER LAU

Pedal-Rine & China Bell

Post by PETER LAU »

Hi,SJB05!
I normally use the Pedal-rine to play: 2, 2 & 4, all the "&".I can't play 16th on it! For some slow song,sometimes I just use SHAKER(Right Hand),Tap the Pedal-Rine(Left Foot)and play the bass drum(Right).It's just a additional "Effect" for COCKTAIL DRUM's playing!
As for the "CHINA BELL".That's a very very old one!I remember I bought it in one of the Chinese shop who sell those LION DANCE things(Drum,China Cymbal,all kind of Lion's Head!)It's very cheap(Sorry!Can't remember the Price?)It's sound almost like "ICE-BELL".It's very heavy and carry long sustain.I use to hand it near my BELL CHIME.For some Song it's kind of Good Effect!Well!to me,It's sound OK as a Mini Hi-hat.Why not,you try check out "WHU-HAN'May be they have it!!
Regard,
PETER
PETER LAU

Thanks!

Post by PETER LAU »

Hi,Mangorockfish!
Thanks a lot :D Yes!I always like drum which is Smaller & Tall!(on COCKTAIL DRUM only).
Best Regard,
PETER
jayce

Post by jayce »

i saw a long drum like that, i think it was 10" in in diameter, but wasn't usedin cocktail applications, i think remo makes it, it sounded pretty neat, i bet yours sound interesting.
PETER LAU

Post by PETER LAU »

Hi,Jayce!
You are right!Remo did make 10" long drum.I think they use it for Laitn percussion kind of music.Yes!This 10" drum's Snare/Bass do sound very tight!This is just a "Try-out"drum's project!Luckly it works!
Regard,
PETER
Jayce

Post by Jayce »

there is a set of those "army helmet" hi hats on ebay right now i might pick them up, i'm interested to hear them
PETER LAU

"Army Helmet"

Post by PETER LAU »

Good to hear that!,Just experiment it with other "cymbals".Who knows?you may get a "New"sound!!!(let know OK!) :D
jewel867

Hey

Post by jewel867 »

Damn Son!! You like those tall, skinny drums, don;t cha ; and I thought my 14"er was skinny. I would love to play and hear one of those bad boys. Looks like you did a great job. Congrats on both of them.
Oh, that's so nice!
PETER LAU

Thanks!

Post by PETER LAU »

Hi,Jewel867!
Welcome to "Cocktail drum"Family.Thanks :D
Regards,
PETER