new phattie cocktail drum

Post by Guest »

Joe

New here and saw your great looking Phattie kit. Sweet. I'm building a cocktail kit now and need a small S-arm (exactly) like the one holding your mounted drum. I'm mounting a popcorn style snare off my main drum and the one you're using would do the trick.

Looked around for this at several parts dealers and am not able to reach Phattie directly - so, any ideas where I could find one?
Fred

Post by Fred »

in worst case buy a percussion mount, for example this...

a Gibraltar for 24$, or take a floortom leg and make one!

Post by Guest »

Fred
Missed this one in my search. Both good ideas - thanks much!
Bill
palacki808

sorry..

Post by palacki808 »

Sorry, I hadn't looked at this section of the forum in awhile. Dennis Stauffer sends those S-rods out to be fabricated elsewhere, but check this out:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=446110

Its cheap and alot of other places carry it besides musicians friend. You may need to cut it to make it fit without extending above the drum. I have one in my case in addition to the rod that came with the set (spares never hurt).

Music go round stores always have alot of hardware "bits" and parts cheap. It isn't uncommon for local music stores to either special order something like that or simply sell you the part you need from a hardware package. Ask around, you may get lucky.

You can also try www.wwbw.com, I don't like to recommend them because I have been very unsatisfied with their customer service in the past. The fact still remains they carry ALOT of stuff.

If you're building a cocktail drum and plan on gigging with it, let me give you a few pointers. Just a few things I have found in the last year of gigging with my cocktail drum:

-4 legs, not 3. The only complaint about my drum is it can sometimes be difficult to set it up balanced with cymbals and drums clamped to it. 4 legs I think would make the drum much more stable. This isn't mentioned very often, but I think it should.

-Check local drumshops for "bits" of hardware. Pieces of used stands can be a really nice investment because they are relatively cheap and you can never know what you'll find. You may find something that will work better than what you were looking for in the first place. Drum World in CastleShannon, PA always has alot of hardware bits.

-Stands are okay to use, just because someone else on the forum has a special mount for his cowbell doesn't mean you do too. Its true alot of us like having everything clamped to the main drum itself, there's no shame in using stands.

-ALWAYS have a spare pedal and heads

-Never be afraid to experiment with different heads and tuning. Tuning is more important when playing a cocktail drum than a standard set because both heads have to be functional!

-You can never practice enough.

-If you can't find a case for it, some conga cases fit cocktail drums very well.

-Experiment with different cymbals so you don't drown out the sound of the drums with an excessively loud cymbal.

This is of course an incomplete list. I hope some of the others here at the forum either add to it or start a new discussion for this entirely.

-Joe
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

Hey Joe
Thanks for offering solutions for hardware and your valuable and relevant advice. I think that there is a Tips&Tricks or something somewhere on the site, and your advice would be an ideal start for that page, or post.
I ended up getting a few of the gibralter arms and using some bits of other hardware, now have a decent stackable arm set that holds crash/ride, splash, closed hats, block, tambourine and spoke. Collapses quick too. I've since ordered a couple of z-arms by meinl which look very much like what Dennis is using - that should give me a tighter and closer mounting solution for side tom and side snare.
I've been practicing (yes!) and have been recording groove loops as part of my practice. Not a bad way to work out balance and feel while considering tuning, cymbal selection, and balance by way of recordiing.
Sorry to say your advice for 4 not 3 legs came too late (at least for the nearterm). Good idea definitely but I'm using smaller cymbals and all is balancing rather well.
Elsewhere I posted my progress on my cocktail kit and what I'm doing with it (post 'what is in your ctail kit' or similar). I'm in rehearsals for a small scale concert and am foregoing a traditional kit for the Cocktail (with other percussion). My musical challenge is making some of the more driving songs sound as powerful as they could/would be with a trad kit (maybe that's a thread in itself). One factor to help with this is that I'm doing some minimal mic'ing and doing my own stage mix.
Once I have a solid setup (and shells finished) I'll send on a pic. Thanks again for your great input.
Bill
palacki808

off topic

Post by palacki808 »

I'm getting way off topic here, but I have to comment. I haven't seen or heard of anyone using a spoke or spoxe (as remo called them back in the 80's) since the last time I saw Terri Bozzio play. More time has past there than I'd like to admit.

I find it to be very cool that drummers still use such instruments.

For those of you who are too young to remember. Spokes or spoxe are the black metal head frames for roto-toms. If mounted properly on a stand alone, this part has a bell-like sound. Very clean sounding, very cool. Sorry for getting off topic, but the spoke really caught my interest.
multiperc

spoxe

Post by multiperc »

Thanks for noticing and bringing up the spoxe. Actually I ripped my rotos apart in the late 70s (before they made them in black) and I don't remember how to put them back together - sheesh!

Anyway I find them more useful as metals. I've been using various sizes of these around the kit in many different settings and now with my new ctail kit. They can be cool laid ontop of cymbals, as hihats, or as is, which is how I usually use them. True bell tones with nice harmonics and loooong sustain - I find you do have to be mindful of pitch and song key to some degree. With my cocktail setup, I use a small one instead of a triangle for a few accents and couple specific parts.

Maybe we should move this topic about cool additions to the cocktail concept or start a new one...I notice John adds mostly a kitchen sink to his cocktail drum. Any other unusual stuff we incorporate in our cocktail drumming?