Tom "Jeff" K.

jmettam
Site Admin

Tom "Jeff" K.

Post by jmettam »

Hey John:

This is Tom K. here, but I go by my middle name, "Jeff" on your fine message board.

Please see the attached pictures to post on you site (under "Your Cocktail Kit" section, I'm guessing).

The first is an Empire, stand-up cocktail kit I use with my band that normally uses acoustic guitars on these type of "coffeehouse" gigs, but at that gig, we had to go electric (long story). I have since made some modifications to the set and parted out the one long cymbal-stand into two that hold my hats and crash/ride separately.

The second is parts from a Sonor Force 3001 kit. This is basically the same thing as a Sonor Jungle kit (same series). I stuck the bass drum spurs in the 16 floor tom brackets and EUREKA! I had a jungle kick. The 13 inch rack became the "Floor Tom" and I used my 10 inch side tom from my cocktail kit as the first tom for this set up (it matches pretty good). Add a Sonor brass piccolo snare and I'm ready to go. I still need the Pearl Jungle Kick adapter (check Musicians' Friend for this) along with a Pearl I.S.S. rim-mounted clamp to attach the adapter too. Both coming in the mail.

Thanks! And happy cocktail drumming!

Tom "Jeff" K.

Image Image
ak1000

Post by ak1000 »

hi jeff
nice idea.looking good
all the best adam

Post by Guest »

Both set ups look great. How does the Sonor sound?
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

The Sonor kit is a BLAST! You can play trad-jazz, cocktail or samba stuff on it.

If you wanna convert a 16 inch floor tom and use a 10 inch tom and a 12, 13, or 14 rack tom with it, it's really easy. Get a Pearl riser:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fg= ... id/448440/

...But you'll ALSO have to get a Pearl I.S.S. rim mount, AND a Pearl BT-3 bracket. All the parts are availible thru Musician's Friend and wil cost yuh about 60 bucks. You'll want to experiment with the tuning on the bass drum and tune your new 'floor' tom pretty low. You'll be amazed how be-boppy your kick foot will become on this little 16 bass drum.