New Peter Lau Project! "Boxtail Kit"?

jmettam
Site Admin

New Peter Lau Project! "Boxtail Kit"?

Post by jmettam »

Hi,John!
This ?drum?is base on Cocktail drum,Cajon and Remo Tubano concept.Box height:27 inches.I?m using 8?drum head top(snare) and bottom(bass).I have no problem of getting the ?bass?sound.In fact,the bass?s sound a bit better than my other 10?cocktail drum!The whole ?Box?drum is still follow my other cocktail drum concept.I have the Snare & bass Chamber.I like the Remo Tubano?s concept because it didn?t use floor leg,but just ?cut-out?leg.That?s mean I have less thing to carry.I?m also using Mini woodblock for ?Rim-shot?effect.On the 8?snare,I don?t tune it very tigh(High pitch! Like piccolo!)just tune more on middle tune(Cause good for Brushes!)Ya!This whole thing just take me 1day to complete(25/06/2005)hope you like it!
Best Regard,
PETER LAU

PETER

recording!

Post by PETER »

Hi,John!
Thanks a lot for putting my Boxtail kit's pictures.Ok!Last saturday(2/7/05)Me & my brother Simon(Bass PLayer)has done a "rough/simple"recording for this Boxtail kit.Simon will send the MP3 to you later.Hmmm....my drum's speed got some "Micro-second"slow!!! :D .Just hope you don't mind.please do give some commend.So that I can improve the "Sound"of this Boxtail and also my playing! :wink:
Peter
PETER

SOME CHNAGE IN MY BOXTAIL DRUM!

Post by PETER »

Hi,John & Every One here!
After doing few Gigs,Recording with my "BoxTail"drum.This is the new setting that I have now.

[/img]Image

If you want to see/hear me play my "Boxtail"drum kindly visit:

http://www.geocities.com/laubrothers/pe ... ig_box.wmv

Thanks & Have a nice day! :D
Regards,
PETER
jmettam
Site Admin

Video

Post by jmettam »

Very cool Peter, the kit sounds great!

I have put your video clip up in the media section of the board!

http://www.cocktaildrum.com/media.html

- John
mangorockfish

Post by mangorockfish »

Pete,
That BoxTail Kit is a killer. You sounded like a Drum Corp playing that thing. Those hats sound really good too my friend.

I also noticed you were sitting down, kind of like me. haha
PETER

Re: Video

Post by PETER »

jmettam wrote:Very cool Peter, the kit sounds great!

I have put your video clip up in the media section of the board!

http://www.cocktaildrum.com/media.html

- John
Thank You John! :D
PETER

Post by PETER »

mangorockfish wrote:Pete,
That BoxTail Kit is a killer. You sounded like a Drum Corp playing that thing. Those hats sound really good too my friend.

I also noticed you were sitting down, kind of like me. haha
Hi!Mango!
Thanks a lot for your kind words!Yes!For longer gigs,I still prefer sitting position!
PETER

Band picture!

Post by PETER »

Hi,John & Every One !
This is the picture taking during the band's Sound check.I'm the quest drummer for this Group from Tokyo,Japan.That's the 1st time I'm using my Boxtail drum!
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

Pete
This new creation is genius - and it sounds very earthy.I've been playing some cajon ocassionally and the box as a resonator is a great idea. What material did you use? Did you experiment with different woods? What ports did you cut and do you mic from them?
I'm curious since I've seen this and your other creations...I will be experimenting with a box and with rotos when I get some time.
PETER

Post by PETER »

[quote="multiperc"]Pete
This new creation is genius - and it sounds very earthy.I've been playing some cajon ocassionally and the box as a resonator is a great idea. What material did you use? Did you experiment with different woods? What ports did you cut and do you mic from them?
I'm curious since I've seen this and your other creations...I will be experimenting with a box and with rotos when I get some time.[/quote]
Hi!Multiperc!
Thank you for your kind words.The Material that I use for all my "GigBox"project is just a normal plywood(Use it to make furnitures!).So far,I never try with other wood.As for my older model GIGBOX.I normally use a very thin/rough serface plywood as Snare/bass(There's no snare wire inside)It's sound good when using Brushes or Nylon Rod.That time I didn't use a Normal Snare's head is because all the songs that we play(Chet Akin and Martin Taylor finger style guitar player)require very soft drum sound and I'm only allow to use Brushes!After that,I begin to attract other musicians to me to play different kind of tunes that I need a real Snare/Bass drum head.(That's how I create this new GIGBOX!).I don't have any mic in my gigbox,because all the clubs,hotel lounge that I perfom,the sound-man will use his Mic.I don't know how???,but all the sound-man says my Boxtail kit is very easy to get a "Good drum'ssound".Even in the Studio(Recording)the sound engineer is very happy with my Boxtail Kit 's sound(Don't even have to do a lot of EQ!).It's very easy to build this Boxtail drum.It even easy,if you want to use either 8"or10"Remo Roto as Snare.(That's the 1st idea that I want to do,but because I use it alot for Traveling GIGs,so "Weight"is my main concern!)my whole Boxtail Kit only wight 14.6 kgs!!!
Regards,
PETER
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

Hi Peter
Thanks for all the info on construction and mic'ing. I'd like to start a project using similar materials and wonder what the thickness of the 'rough' plywood is - it seems you've gotten a very good sound from the sizes you construct. Good news on micing too, it's nice to be able to project a good tone (from whatever kind of drumkit) when not mic'd.
PETER

Post by PETER »

multiperc wrote:Hi Peter
Thanks for all the info on construction and mic'ing. I'd like to start a project using similar materials and wonder what the thickness of the 'rough' plywood is - it seems you've gotten a very good sound from the sizes you construct. Good news on micing too, it's nice to be able to project a good tone (from whatever kind of drumkit) when not mic'd.
OK!for the "Snare"I don't know whether you can get a very thin plywood like 0.2 or 0.3cm.Once you get the size that you want,try hold the plywood with you finger and tap it(I learn this from my Guitar Maker friend:Because,every wood produce different kind of tone!I alway prefer the "Higher"tone).Ya!You're right,when the drum itself sound good,it will sound even better when all mic-up!wish you good luck.If you have any problem or need any help,please feel free to write to me! :D
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I had a look at your video and hey, impressive sound AND impressive playing! :)

I'm truly amazed by the dark sound you managed to get out of an 8" snare and 8" (?)kick. Sounded very full and rich indeed.
PETER

Post by PETER »

Hi,Flaat!
Thanks alot for your kind words! :D
Regards,
Peter
Pulsar

Your Hihat

Post by Pulsar »

Can you please tell me how you have built your hihat.
Is it opened and closed with that wire?
I have just started to build my own project and ? am very interested in your hihat-construction.
How does it work?
Is it fast enough?

Erik
Umea
Sweden