My Cocktail Kit

Bruce the K (old)

Post by Bruce the K (old) »

<br>
I saw my first cocktail drum set about 6 months ago. The guy who was playing it (extremely well) in a very tight<br>
little cover band was nice enough to turn me on to the Cocktail Drum Lounge so I could learn more.<br>
<br>
I've played (very rhythmic) rhythm guitar all my life but when I laid eyes on that drum (a Yamaha Club Jordan),<br>
I knew I had to try playing drums. As luck would have it, my 50th birthday was coming up and my wife asked<br>
me what I wanted. After briefly considering a Harley, a tattoo, etc., I decided I wanted THE DRUM.<br>
<br>
I got the standard Yamaha Club Jordan set (without the mini-snare and tom) with Sabian AA crash and B8<br>
high-hat cymbals. I've been playing exercises out of The Picture Book of Rock and Roll Drums by Joel Rothman<br>
to get started. (Any suggestions about a good next book would be appreciated.)<br>
<br>
I wanted to tell folks about a little modification I've done that seems to work pretty well. I installed a cow bell<br>
and wood block on the cymbal support but with all the cymbals, it was getting crowded. Then I though, "Why not get a second cymbal support bar, put the high-hat cymbals on it, mount it on the left (traditional high-hat location), and raise the crash cymbal up on the right to make more room for the other noise-makers?"<br>
<br>
I hurried down to my local Yamaha dealer and ordered a second support bar. The only way it comes is with a complete set of the felt pieces and the chrome rings that come with the drum. It cost $100, which was a little more than I was expecting. (I'm new to all this drum hardware stuff.) It took almost a month to arrive but I've been using it ever since and I really like the way it makes my set a little more "traditional." It actually makes it more balanced too, since I've got the weight of the cymbals spread out on either side of the drum shell. Has anybody else tried this?<br>
<br>
After a couple months of practicing, I now realize that I've been a frustrated drummer taking it out on my poor guitar all these years!
<p></p><i></i>