pics of my slingerland cocktail drum set

ratatattat

pics of my slingerland cocktail drum set

Post by ratatattat »

this forum is really cool. I am Mike & have an old 1955 -59 pre badge red glass glitter slingerland cocktail drumset. I have had it for about 6 months now & am really enjoying it! I also have an old 1920's radio king drumset that I used to play out on for my little local gigs, but due to the sizes & weight etc. I was looking for a lighter, smaller alternative. I think I have found it. Getting the thing to sound good is a challenge. I have learned a lot from this site already, Thanks! Mike or now I guess I will be "Rat"
AdiosImage
mangorockfish

Post by mangorockfish »

I would really like to seea closeup of the way you have that pedal attached to the leg.

Post by Guest »

I'll get one 4 ya Mango! I kind of rigged it up myself, my buddy welded a big washer onto an old hi hat rod & I bent it & attached it to the legs with lp cow bell clamps, solid as a rock so far! It's anold duplex heyn pedal I've had for years, fliped upside down with no problems & works real well for being 50 years old or so! Made in St. Louis too, where I live!
ratatattat

Post by ratatattat »

jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

Hey Mike,

Great job on the pedal and clamp! That's using the old noggin'

You just proved once again, there's always a way!

Can you tell us about your cymbal setup? Those look like some old 12" hi-hats.

Thanks,

- John
ratatattat

Post by ratatattat »

Thanks John,
My main cymbal is a 14" zildjian crash cymbal, sounds good as a ride also, & my hi hats are old old 11" zildjians that I aquired with my radio kings when I found them. I had never ever thought I would use them for anything, but kept them anyway. Good thing I did !!
My top cymbal is a little 8" zildjian splash. I have played out with this set-up & it works pretty well. I am converted now!
It seems the vintage cocktail drums on e-bay are going for more money these days also!
I was lucky to aquire this one for as little as I paid for it! This website has taught me well too. I'm using a coated power stroke 3 on the bass & a remo ambassador for the snare head. Sounds real nice too, brushes & sticks!
Thanks to all here for all of the useful information!
I'm cocktail crazy now!
palacki808

slingerland drum

Post by palacki808 »

That is one sweet looking drum. I like the sparkle wrap.

Does your drum have the seam with the trim strip inside like most slingerland cocktail drums do or is it a solid shell? A friend of mine has a similiar slingerland drum with the seam in the center and it sounds fantastic.

-Joe
ratatattat

Post by ratatattat »

thanks, It does have the center joining seam, you can see it pretty well from the outside too, but the old wrap & wrap seam is tight & red is unfaded. I just finished up my first recording project, (just rythmn tracks so far) using my cocktail kit. I'm using it with an upright bassist, and a guitar player, it is kind of vintage country rock a billy, sort of. I'll post more as the sessions progress........we recorded all together just the bass drums & rythmn guitar(acoustic) & the singer will over dubb the vocal & lead guitar tracks on top of those. I am very happy with the sounds coming from this drum.
Mike