My pink sparkel club jordan

jottesen

My pink sparkel club jordan

Post by jottesen »

Hey John
I have emaile you some picture of my cocktail kit, when you got the time, please
put them on.

Have a nice day
Jesper Ottesen
jmettam
Site Admin

Here you go...

Post by jmettam »

Hey John ,

Here is the letter to you, I wanted to write for along time.

The letter is about my way to the world of cocktaildrums, a way from modern percusion over to drumset, from swing jazz to afro/space punk jam/polish salsa.

One day two years ago a friend of my came with a very old and bad looking kawai keyboard.
One of his friend had found it in a trash-container in to parts but the wire was still intakt. He put it togethere and it works. Then my friend make some tunes and think it could be fun to add some percusion to it, and from that day my live was transform.
Now we got a band call: DOS POLKSA AMIGOS ( there will soon be a webside)

I make a percusion/drumset, there are three fotos, I call this set a micro drumset, 12?+10?remo tomtom for bass drum/surdo/low timbale kind, pearl popcorn 10?+7? snr.drum/high timbale, a set of asama bongos, 2 cowbells, one jamblock, 8?closed hihat, 16? crash, 10? trash cymbal, 8? cymbal. I used three mic.s it sounds very cool,one on the bassdr.,one on the snrdr. and one overhead. I played the bassdr. with my left hand and used left/right hand on the snrdr. , and the right hand on hihat/cowbell etc.etc. Some times ostinato patterns in right hand on between hihat/cowbell/snrdr./high timbale. And ostinato patterns in the left hand between bassdr.,bongos and 8? muffled cymbal.
Then I started to transform drumset patterns to the micro kit, funk, reagae, songo, rock, etc.etc.
And enden up with what we call polish salsa. It was a very fun proces to be a part of.
I like the to let the drums speak then they make music. Yes im a big fan ofTerry bozzio, his thougths about drum as a music instrument.

Okay back on track, one day on the internet I came to your forum ?cocktaildrum lounge? and i was sold, when I saw this cocktaildrum koncept, I remember I saw a club jordan set in our local drumshop but the price was all to much for me, then I saw a used club jordan in pink sparkel in a local newspaper on sale, my wife and me got there
And there this baby of mine was in all her beauthy, the set was to years old an have newer left the house, the guy who sold it was a drummer in a dance band an in one song he was purpose to go up front a play drums, but it didn?t work for him, he got made a AKG D112 build in the main drum. I got it for 660 euro the drums was new.

In the start it was hard (was it a drumset or ..........) then I read will?s reply on one topic I dont remember wich, but it help me to see on the cocktail set with new eyes.
In this moment Im pratice ? standart drumset patterns? I have a gig with a band Im playing with for years you now we play for party,weddings, bithday, companies, small festivals, etc.etc. I have always sit down and it will be funny to stand up with those guys, so saturday d. 25/2-2006 will be my debut as a cocktail drummer.

I have send a lot of foto I wil be glad if you will post some of them on ?my cocktailkit?
Do you remember the topic ?how to make a 20?ride to 15?ride, there is some picture to. My cymbals are 8? paiste 602 seven soundset no. One, 8? asian splash for hihat, 16? 2002 paiste crash w/one riverts and 18? 2002 paiste crash.
I did alot reseach to get some clamps, those to I?ve got did the test, I can ride and crash and they just got in place, I?ve got some problems with the mic. But end up with a kind or free hanging micholder and it works great, just turn up a little so i got the sub from the main drum, but the bassdr. is okay akustic.
The drum cases are an 18? gonga drumcase and an 10? tomtom case.

I have said it before and now doing it againe: I very much like the forum and it gives me alot THANK YOU JOHN AND ALL MEMBERS

Jesper Ottesen

mangorockfish

Post by mangorockfish »

Jes'
Cool story. This is a great forum and a bunch of great people here with a wealth of knowledge and experience.
You two guys are really "Snappy Dressers" when you play and man, that's the way it should be.. Is the lady part of the group two?
Good luck with your group(s) and your kit.
Mango'
PETER

Post by PETER »

Hi!Jesper!
Very cool drum you have!Hmm.....one question,why you bent the cymbal?how's the sound?
Thanks
Regards,
PETER
jottesen

Post by jottesen »

Hey mango and peter
Thanks for the reply, first the woman in red, yes she is our dancer ( and the "man" on the floor) and my wife, lucky me.
About the cymbals, they are very old and they got some cracks near the edge.
So I have to do some cutting, they sound a little more dark, great for crash/ride with sticks. The orthe picture is a 20" 2002 paiste ride I cut down to 15" ride it was a experiment it sound like a bottom hihat cymbal no good for sticks but good for hotrods
becourse you got a good bell sound.

have a nice day
Jesper 8)
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

Hi Jesper

Nice kit and cool photos! I like hearing about the evolution of your approach too. Before I built my cocktail kit, I spent almost a decade experimenting with several 'alternative' standing setups, but never put it into much action...until recently with my ctail.

I want to ask how the D112 works for you and how it sounds inside the drum shell. I think Dinkus has a photo somewhere showing a D112 mounted near the beater, and I've used both a D112 and a large diaphram condensor also positioned outside near the beater. That micing scheme works for me, but the convenience of having a permanent mic inside the shell is intruguing....
jmettam
Site Admin

May Drum Micing System

Post by jmettam »

DW is selling the May Drum Micing System. I think that these are these guys that first did permanently mounted internal drum mics years ago.

http://www.dwdrums.com/may/index.htm

They offer many more microphones than they used to! (They used to only offer the Sure SM57)

- John
jottesen

Post by jottesen »

:D Hey again
I have a gig saturday, so after the gig I write again and tell you how the "mic" is working.

kindly

Jesper
jottesen

Post by jottesen »

:D :D Hi again
Last saturday I have my first cocktail drum gig, it was a big succes, the band was
el. guitar, bass, sax and ewi, violin, vocal and me on the drums.
It was at a small cafe ,and there was very little space for the band ,
so the cocktaildrums just fit in, very nice.
The gig was a privat birthday party, so there were alot of people dancing,
it was funny to stand up playing and "dancing".
The violin player ( a famous jazz player here in denmark Kristian J?rgensen) really like
the concept of the cocktail kit and it was nice to tell the story behind the cocktail kit.
Thank you again for this informative forum.
Our sax player ( Thomas Larsen free lance bigband and theater) just came with a big smile on his face.

But what about the MIC. in my main drum.
I use the kit this way: 8" snr.dr., 10" tomtom, 15" floortom and bassdr.
I have tuned the snr. and tomtom a little "jazzy" and the floor and bassdr. very low.
The sound of the bassdr. was very fat and I could gain it quite a bit.
The floortom is tuned very low so there are not so much sound,
but the mic AKG 112 take the top skin to.
You have to find the balance between the bass and floor tom. This was no problem
i have a good fat low end; high snr. and tomtom and floortom that sounden fat and the overall sound was a kit in good balance.

One very big issue are vibrations( when you hit a cowbell or hihat or .......... mounted
on the main drum the vibrations will go thru the shell to the mic-holder and into the mic
and you will hear a hummmmmmm, to prevent this you must have a mic.shock-holder.
My mic holder are homemade so I had this problem, so I think this MAY-system John is talking about is very good, it looks very good and don?t have this problem I think.
The cable is going thru the air hole on the side of the drum, down thru the leg where the xlr-male are fixed.

Those cymbals arms I used dont give many vibrations and I don?t need stands so I could have the the hole kit in to cases an 18"gonga case and a 10" tomtom case very easy and a big sound VERY COOL 8) 8) 8)
It took me 10 minutes to get ready :lol: :lol: :lol:

So all i can say, it was a very very good experience.

have a nice day
Jesper

[/u][/b]
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

Hey Jes

Thanks for your reply on the mic'ing and congratulations on the successful (and fun) gig!

I've noticed some level of sympathetic vibrations coming from several of my mounts and some instruments cause more transfered vibrations than others (ie block, cowbell, tambourine).

Shockmounting the mic should help with that problem and also reduce shell vibration to the mic, but all in all you're lucky to be getting a balanced mic'd sound all around the kit using the internal.

I'm still experimenting with mic'ing outside the drum at the beater point and right now am using a small desk stand. It works fine for most sized mics and allows me easily to change mics and mic positions, which would otherwise be a pain if mounted inside. Also no vibrations from the drum or mounted items, though you need to shockmount since it's on the floor.