new custom maple cocktail kit

jmettam
Site Admin

new custom maple cocktail kit

Post by jmettam »

Hi John

About the kit: I built the main drum and tom using maple shells from AIT, the snare is an inexpensive maple Pacific drum, the other stuff changes around; I?m now mounting a Brazilian tamborim and a duo block (in place of the small dumbek), and a DST style tambourine (in place of the jam block). Also I switch around cymbals, those shown are a decidedly odd, though effective, mix of Paiste cymbals. Pedal is a DW5000 trigger model, reversed and free standing. Not shown is another DW pedal with a mounted Crasher, which I add occasionally using my left heel. Mounting hardware is probably familiar to many at the lounge.

Thanks to you and everyone at the lounge for all I?ve learned about this great approach to drumming and percussion.

Multiperc

PS Also thanks to you and your suggestions for mounting a djembe ? I don?t yet have a reason to cut wood pieces as the A-style guitar stand is perfect and packs up easily.

jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

Realy nice setup Bill!

I love the color and the mounted dumbek!

- John
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

Thanks for posting pics and for the compliments on the kit, John!
mangorockfish

Post by mangorockfish »

Multiperc, That is one sweet kit. Love the color. I have a big Fibes kit in that color. I really dig the long single headed drum. Bet it sounds great with the kit.
Mango'
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

hey mango
thanks for the comps!
Thanks for noticing the 10" deep tom. It's hilarious - it barks up a storm and is a nice tonal contrast to the big tom. I had a similar 10x8 in an Eames kit I built in the 80s and used it then as an ethno-ride of sorts.
The tourquouise glass is my nod to an era; though I must say it was close decision between that and champagne.
Cheers!
mangorockfish

Post by mangorockfish »

I love both colors. My wife really likes the, as she calls it, pink sparkle. That was one of the reasons that she didn't say too much when I had mine built. I had the old Pearl concert toms, so went with the old school Pearl lugs to match and the champagne. Am very pleased with the results. However, I may have to add one of those toms like yours.
Mangorockfish
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

Mango
Yeah your champagne kit is a beaut!
If you were to add another odd shaped tom, you'll want to ask from the wrap distributors (I used JamminSam) what to expect when matching your color, especially if your pearl toms were from some time back. Otherwise, I'd suggest you take on building the drum yourself even if you haven't done one before - it's fun and relatively easy if you have the time and inclination.
mangorockfish

Post by mangorockfish »

Man, I'm way ahead of you. I have two full sheets and some large scraps of the champagne sparkle my kit is covered in. Champagne Sparkle is a bear to match. I've ordered three times and gotten three different shades.

Thanks for the heads-up though.
Mango'