My drum set..

jorgedrums

My drum set..

Post by jorgedrums »

What do u thing about my drum set?... I'll buy a coctail drum kit in order to add it to my actual drum set.

you can see the pic at www.dbparty.com/drumset.jpg

See ya :lol:

Jorge
Standing UP DRUMMER
mangorockfish

Post by mangorockfish »

What are those drums on the far left of the picture? Man if you would lose the bass drum and replace it with a djembe on a DW cradle, you would have a "KILLER" Set.
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

hey Jorge
Very cool indeed! Do you play this kit in the function of drummer or percussionist? Or both? It looks like a reach to play the bassdrum while playing congas, but maybe the picture is decieving and is easier than it looks.
And I want to know what the drum(s) are on the left too. Are they wooden timbales? What mics are you using?
jorgedrums

Hi

Post by jorgedrums »

The drums on left are wooden timbales (toca), and indeed I'm a percusionist and drumer at the same time. Sometimes I play congas with my hand left and with my right left I play the drums. Sometimes I play congas and bongos and I play the bass drum (using a twin pedal) I have a couple of Hi Hats. One of them is always closed and the other one is a little bit open, conected with a remote hi hat stand. Very nice advice about djembe, I'll think about the change. I would like to replace my bass drum and toms for a hipgig yamaha. The microphones that i'm using are a shure beta drum kit.

And offcourse, since I knew this site, I'd like to add a cocktail drums.

Thanks
Jorge
Standing UP DRUMMER
mangorockfish

Post by mangorockfish »

Are the wooden timbales new, old, out of production, or are they still available?
Mangorockfish
jmettam
Site Admin

JorgeDrum

Post by jmettam »

Hi Jorge,

It looks like you could use a Cocktail Kit in plaace of your snare, kick,and toms. If you had a CLub Jordan style set with timbale, congas, and bongos it might bring things in a little closer together and there would be less to carry (no rack!).

What do you think?

- John
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

Jorge.

John offers a very good point. Your kit is quite amazing and covers alot of ground (physically) and sonically. Let me add though that a cocktail kit surrounded by choice percussion which you already use (ie congas, bongos) would do the trick and would be slick.

Some of us use percussion integrated into our cocktail rigs; John and others use bongos with cocktail drum, I use a Brazilian tambourim or a darabuka and have a large djembe to the side.

Lots of color in a small space!
jorgedrums

Hi...

Post by jorgedrums »

mangorockfish, I guess the timbales are out of production. I had to reinforce with a metalic ring in the bottom of each one. I bought them 2 years ago.

Very good advice...I have some problems with the carry of my drum set. I've never thought someting like that... Replace the bassdrum, snare and toms for a cocktail drum kit instead of yamaha hipgig... My question is about the sound of the bass drum of a cocktail drum kit (talking about the Yamaha).Because I've never listen the sound of the cocktail drum kit.

Thank you guys
Jorge
Standing UP DRUMMER
mangorockfish

Post by mangorockfish »

Bass drum sound of a cocktail drum won't be that much different than a hipgig bass drum, and the looks of a Cocktail Kit will more than make up for any difference in sound. Cocktail Kits are cool and that's the bottom line. :lol:
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

amen, Mango.

Jorge. Take a gander into the discussion board where we are talking about tuning the 'big drum' and the challenges that drummers have tuning and using an upright 16X16 as kick/tom. It's all very interesting stuff and from my experience, it's a personal drumming journey. I'm loving the sound of my cocktail 24X14 kick, though it's nothing like any other bass drum I have.

Mango may have asked about your wooden timbales, so I thought I might chime in for a mosey down memory lane. For a bunch of years I had a pair of unofficial wooden timbales - by way of a 12x15 marching snare which I cut in half! Used them like mad in all sorts of gigs and they even shared a center stage spotlight with me at a CBGBs gig in the early 80s. Wicked cool sounding but nothing like Tito's! I miss em dearly (but will spare you their fate....)
fw

Post by fw »

You know, 15x12" marching drums are so underrated. They go for nothing on ebay, they are easy to get for free, and they can be turned into anything--bass drums, timbales, floor toms, or take two like I did and make a cocktail set. In general, I don't get the aversion by companies to odd diameter drums. I get why everybody loves 12" toms and 14 and 16" floor toms, but 10's always feel like a compromise to me, and 12" as the middle tom always feels strange. Why not offer 7", 9", and 11" toms, bring back the 13"'s, and at 17" and 19" toms and bass drums? I'd love an 11/13/15/17/19 set. Oh, well.
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

Yeah 13 and 15 seem to be the only odd standard sizes for decades now.
It would be great if I could get replacement heads for my ol 14x27 Gretsch bass drum. Years ago, Remo was willing to do 27" one-offs for $180 each. That's not gonna happen anytime soon.