Real Gone Kit

spikedkat

Real Gone Kit

Post by spikedkat »

Hi kats, I play in A Rockabily Cowpunk Rocknroll combo called REAL GONE We are based out of Toronto, Canada. Here is my kit, it's actually my second- I bought a cheapo complete kit on ebay but it was untuneable and the hardware could not stand up to the intensity of my playing. I ride a lot on the cocktail drum, and hit hard so a separate snare is the way to go for me.

This Cocktail is a Fibes wood 16 x 24 (also purchased on Ebay), an old Stewart snare, a Tama SwingStar 12" tom, Sabian14" highhat, 20" ride and 16" crash, DW 5000 pedal reversed (it works real well as spurs for the kit and anchors the main drum from dancing around), 1 stand w/ Pearl x-hat and rack tom, 1 with ride and crash cymbals and snare basket on a cymball stand base for extra height. All stands are older single braced style- slightly lighter/compact and a little more retro looking.

The drums were re-covered with red sign-making vinyl (The original mis-matched laminates were left on the drums. Hopefully I can peel the vinyl away if I get tired of the colour.)The whole kit packs up in 2 rolling bags and one tom case

Last edited by spikedkat on Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
SpikedKat Rockabilly Cowpunk RocknRoll
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

WOW!

Great kit! I wonder if the fibes drum is built out of two toms or if it is an original Cocktail Drum made by them?

Thanks for the pics,
- John
spikedkat

Post by spikedkat »

The Cocktail drum is one piece, It has Fibes style triangler lugs but no badges It was advertised as Fibes. It was missing legs and brackets, and wasslightly water damaaged ( laminate peeling a and a little of the grey stuff growing inside, but round and and solid. It included a non functioning special shure 57 mounted on a Mays mount halfway up the drum. I have been using a AKG CE1200 ( older instrument mic) in the drum with good success. Has any one else experimented with internal micing? I was concidering something like a D112.
matthew medeiros

Internal Micing

Post by matthew medeiros »

spikedkat wrote:The Cocktail drum is one piece, It has Fibes style triangler lugs but no badges It was advertised as Fibes. It was missing legs and brackets, and wasslightly water damaaged ( laminate peeling a and a little of the grey stuff growing inside, but round and and solid. It included a non functioning special shure 57 mounted on a Mays mount halfway up the drum. I have been using a AKG CE1200 ( older instrument mic) in the drum with good success. Has any one else experimented with internal micing? I was concidering something like a D112.
Hey spikedkat, I have a Shure 57 in my snare with the may internal micing system, and I have a D112 in my bass drum, also, with the May internal non-drill attatchment. I get a lot of positive comments from sound guys about the D112. I place it slightly off center of the drum with the mic facing away from the batter head, and about 6-7" away from the batter head. The only complaint is the D112 seems to be a little top heavy for the May arm, so I usually have to re adjust the mic after i set up from moving the drum.
Matthew
spikedkat

Re: Internal Micing

Post by spikedkat »

matthew medeiros wrote:
spikedkat wrote:The Cocktail drum is one piece, It has Fibes style triangler lugs but no badges It was advertised as Fibes. It was missing legs and brackets, and wasslightly water damaaged ( laminate peeling a and a little of the grey stuff growing inside, but round and and solid. It included a non functioning special shure 57 mounted on a Mays mount halfway up the drum. I have been using a AKG CE1200 ( older instrument mic) in the drum with good success. Has any one else experimented with internal micing? I was concidering something like a D112.
Hey spikedkat, I have a Shure 57 in my snare with the may internal micing system, and I have a D112 in my bass drum, also, with the May internal non-drill attatchment. I get a lot of positive comments from sound guys about the D112. I place it slightly off center of the drum with the mic facing away from the batter head, and about 6-7" away from the batter head. The only complaint is the D112 seems to be a little top heavy for the May arm, so I usually have to re adjust the mic after i set up from moving the drum.
Do you use a separate snare and cocktail drum or are both mics inside the one drum, If so: any phasing issues if you hit both sides at same time? Your D112 is facing the top of the coctail drum?
ak1000

nice kit

Post by ak1000 »

nice kit
matthew medeiros

Re: Internal Micing

Post by matthew medeiros »

matthew medeiros wrote:
Sorry Bro, Should have specified. Side snare, with internal, the D122 is in my sit down bass, and it faces front, this is Randall Mays' suggestion
Matthew
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

Matthew
Getting a bit off topic here, but just wondering: you have the D112 pointing AWAY from the batter head? And if so, how is the drum tuned? What size is it? What heads, beater, and musical style are you doing with this sitdown kit?
Sounds interestiing, especially since in my recording experiences, I haven't used a D112 in this kind of way.
Hope the sale is going your way.
Pat McNeil

Post by Pat McNeil »

Greetings to all sundry, once again.

Spiked Kat : Nice looking kit! re: REAL GONE : do you guys have a website w/your upcoming gigs listed? I get to TO periodically (am in Montreal) & would love to check your band out.

re: AKG D112 : Certainly a very handy kick mic. The older D12 was bit more interesting to me (the square one) sonically, but it's impossible to find these days. I've also found the ATM25 (I think that' s it - the squat Audio Technica hypercardioid kick mic) works nicely on the cocktail - it doesn't have as pronounced an EQ curve as the 112, so you'll have to tweak it to get that sound if you like it.

Pat McNeil
spikedkat

Post by spikedkat »

hey Pat and all you Kats. Real Gone is at www.realgone.ca, you can also find and hear our RockabillyCowpunkRocknRoll at at www.myspace.com/realgone