finished restoration!!

ratatattat

finished restoration!!

Post by ratatattat »

Hi everybody. I scored an old 60's slingerland 14"x24" cocktail drum. I just recovered it & it turned out better than I had hoped! I covered it in sliver glass glitter. I'm waiting on a sidekick pedal to come in & it will be complete. This drum sounds great too.Image
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

nice! glass glitter is a cool albeit modern nod to the era
snares on top? how're you tuning it, what heads? does this shell have reinforcement rings? did you need to do much to the shell edges?
matthew medeiros

Post by matthew medeiros »

multiperc wrote:nice! glass glitter is a cool albeit modern nod to the era
snares on top? how're you tuning it, what heads? does this shell have reinforcement rings? did you need to do much to the shell edges?
Man, That's a nice lookin drum :wink: Now I know who ta send all my repairs to! :D
Matthew
ratatattat

Post by ratatattat »

Hey y'all, this was my first attempt at the recovering thing,...was pretty easy with all the helpful stuff on this site, ie: build along with kyle, etc.
It has reinforcment rings top & bottom & a big joining one in the middle.
I cut a snare wire in half & welded it to the muffler device,(because whoever had it & painted it black was using it for a heavy metal rack tom I think, they took the legs off & the internal snare off as well.)So it has an internal snare under the top head now.
& it does sound pretty good to me. I tune the top very tight, & the bottom just tight enough to not be loose. I just need my new sidekick to make it play better, The old dulplex heyn works, but not very well.
I use coated ambassador for the top head, a powerstroke 3 on the bass. The bearing edges are perfect! I feel I could recover any drum now! It's not really to hard to do. Picking the color gave me more trouble than anything else! I settled on the silver glass glitter because that was what it was originally covered with. I am delighted with the way it turned out! It is a work in progress though!
adios, Mike
ratatattat

Post by ratatattat »

the dw sidekick pedal finally came in, I also added a tama x-hat & a gibralter cymbal stacker. It's not perfect, but I'm working on it! I guess it's still a work in progress.Image
jmettam
Site Admin

Post by jmettam »

Wow, that looks cool!

How is the balance? I find that when I use the straight legs and put a bunch of stuff on one side, my drum wants to tip over! Great job on the drum!

- John
ratatattat

Post by ratatattat »

hey john, with the dw pedal, it has 4 legs. I have the hi hats directly across from the cymbals & it hasn't even budged with the velcro bottom pedal plate I think it seems to be ok so far. I have not taken this one out to play yet though. I play it a lot in the living room!
Both of my sons have been playing it too & it has never fallen yet. mike
ratatattat

tom tom fury

Post by ratatattat »

ratatattat

toms rule

Post by ratatattat »

ratatattat

balances pretty good still

Post by ratatattat »

I am surprised , but it doesn't budge in any direction imbalance wise! ??? seems like it should tip, but I have been beating the crap out of it on a daily basis & still seems to be cool. I think the velcro & extra leg & rug maybe the thing holding it up!??
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

I just asked about just these things on another thread - thanks for the detail on your mounts (very clever indeed) and I'm surprised the whole shebang doen't topple - must be a very good design!