an insane idea...

multiperc

an insane idea...

Post by multiperc »

Anyone playing a double cocktail drum or cocktail kit yet?
Seems a tad insane and definitely challenges the concept of schlepper's relief, but...I just thought about the number of players out there who have more than one cocktail kit/drum and wondering if a 'multiple' kit approach has yet been born.... maybe not insane!
Peter? John? Dinkus? Matthew? anyone?

PS I'm considering adding my 16x16 sitdown to my smaller trad kit, so I have the option of a cocktail-y sound within a full kit. More to carry, yeah. But not too much more!
matthew medeiros

Re: an insane idea...

Post by matthew medeiros »

multiperc wrote:Anyone playing a double cocktail drum or cocktail kit yet?
Seems a tad insane and definitely challenges the concept of schlepper's relief, but...I just thought about the number of players out there who have more than one cocktail kit/drum and wondering if a 'multiple' kit approach has yet been born.... maybe not insane!
Peter? John? Dinkus? Matthew? anyone?

PS I'm considering adding my 16x16 sitdown to my smaller trad kit, so I have the option of a cocktail-y sound within a full kit. More to carry, yeah. But not too much more!
Ya know, I have to admit I actually thought about a two cocktail drum set up. but I really use my cocktail kit for situations where We don't have enough room, need to play quietly, etc. So I have not as of yet had the Balls ( or ovaries) to try a two cocktail drum set up. Played a couple weekends back outdoors for a company party in Mt. View calif. and used my Club Jordan and everybody loved it. It was a totaly acoustic gig!! I heard John was out here ( in santa cruz) for a bandmembers wedding but did not have the pleasure of hooking up with him!
Matthew
ratatattat

Post by ratatattat »

This idea actually did cross my mind a few times. I own 2 cocktail drums now & I was thinking I could use one for a floor tom & the other for a snare drum & both for double bass! I guess addin a small rack tom & hi hats could make for a pretty wacky set up. My heavy metal & punk rock days are long gone. I play both kinds of music now(country & western) so the cocktail drum was a departure from a conventional set because for one I'm lazy, and two limited space, etc. etc. I can carry one set on my motorcycle! ( two would require a trailer & would defeat my original purpose! My red pre-badge drum is at the studio, & I have my 60's set at home set up in the living room. I have not had them together at one place yet, but when I do, I'll give the 2 cocktail sets together a try!
Mike
Last edited by ratatattat on Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PETER

an insane idea

Post by PETER »

I use to try it in my drum's room..It's fun :D .But never thought of using it for gigs.Cause the stage is too small for the Band!There's one idea that I like it very much.That's "Auxiliary Bass".I notice some drummers are using a smaller Bass drum(18"or 12") as" Auxiliary Bass".I may want to add a 12"or 14" for my 10"VARI-PITCH Cocktail kits!
Regards,
PETER
jmettam
Site Admin

Double Cocktail

Post by jmettam »

I actually did try this once just fooliing around. two identical drums (kick, snare in a single drum) I had to sit on a tall stool to actually play both kicks or lean really far forward which made playing the top impossible!

Remember that people have been adding aux kicks for a long time. Check out this page from a 1951 Rogers Catalog. Notice the 'Astoria' style floor tom to the left with a built in cocktail pedal for striking the bottom head! Double bass at its best...

Radical!!!

ratatattat

Post by ratatattat »

ImageI tried to play them both at once, & it was not really comfortable, as they are each a complete unit. I could configure a set from multiple cocktail drums, but I'm not sure why!! Mike
ratatattat

Post by ratatattat »

PETER

Post by PETER »

wow!I like your cymbals sets-up!Must be a lot of fun to play this kits!! :D
ratatattat

Post by ratatattat »

Thanks! They are a blast to play for me yes! The upside down one just happened, at the end of some songs ( the ones with the crash & burn endings) I use the stick between the 14" crash/ride & the 12" crash & it makes an awful rackett!! Perfect!
Thanks Peter
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

an insane idea for sure! I do wonder if anyone has taken this double kit idea seriously or has actually gigged with it...
Your cymbal set up is a blast and would be cool with just one cocktail drum! I remember your early posts and marvelled at your addtiona of the bulb horn. One of the coolest things I've seen yet ..I'd love to get 3 or 4 of those for my kit!
ratatattat

Post by ratatattat »

spike jones deluxe!
matthew medeiros

spike jones

Post by matthew medeiros »

I haven't heard that name mentioned in a long time. I've got some Spike Jones 78's that where in a big box of 78's no covers just the albums. I guess that was in for a while. actually quite good musicians............
Matthew
jmettam
Site Admin

Spike Jones

Post by jmettam »

They have recently released a bunch of his film and TV stuff on DVD. Completely amazing and worth it. The arrangements, performance, and level of comedy is astounding. Absolutely worth it!

- John
zorf

Post by zorf »

and those recordings were done live in real time with no editing. One or two mikes in a room.
Can you say... rehersal?
ratatattat

3 in the set??

Post by ratatattat »

strange how each drum sounds so different in comparison to each other!