10"gretsch blackhawk snare drum

ratatattat

10"gretsch blackhawk snare drum

Post by ratatattat »

Hi everybody, I added a 10" gretsch blackhawk steel snare & an 8" 70's slingerland wood concert tom to my 60's slingerland cocktail. I guess this is as close to a club jordan as I'll probably ever get! I 'm having a hard time with the bass sound now that I tuned the top head floor tom low. I'm sure I'll get it sounding better, I hope!
ratatattat

another

Post by ratatattat »

jmettam
Site Admin

CDrum

Post by jmettam »

Great Job Rat (atattat)!

I have a feeling that the people on this site are keeping the Gibraltar small-parts department alive!

It is amazing what you can do with a few clamps! Nicely done...

- John
multiperc

Post by multiperc »

Surprising amount of stuff balanced on those 3 straight legs. Wowee!

I'd be interested in how you mounted the tom and snare - as in a view from the other side. I love lots of stuff on my cocktail kit, yours looks like a blast to play. Probably sounds sweet too.

Nice job!

PS very cool 'f-hole' stencils (?) - inspiring, I bet.
zorf

Post by zorf »

OK,

Is it just me, or are there two stubby sticks coming out of the top

of your drum?
ratatattat

Post by ratatattat »

the f holes were left over from some I made for a banjo player friend of mine. He had drawn some on his banjo head & they looked cool, but all of his bands equipment including his banjo were stolen after a gig in Chicago. They replaced all of thier quipment & I asked him if he was gonna get some f holes for his new one. He replied that a friend drew them on for him & he was incapable so....I made a small batch of them in vinyl. I had a few leftovers. ha
Bruce (the K)

your sidekick looks different than mine

Post by Bruce (the K) »

Hey Rat!

I looked at the picture that showed your whole set and I noticed that your DW Sidekick pedal looked different from mine. Mine has a woven black nylon cord attached to the little piece that clamps on to the beater arm. Yours looks like silvery woven metal. I'm curious because I've had mine for a couple of years and the nylon cord is starting to fray where it rubs against the toe end of the pedal.

I'm just curious if they changed the cord material because of this problem.

bruce (the K)
ratatattat

Post by ratatattat »

hiya Bruce, I replaced the rope with vinyl coated aircraft cable because mine was fraying also. It works pretty well & is way more durable! Under $1.00 worth of the cable is all ya need. I also stripped out the thing that holds the cable to the beater. I just connected the cable directly & just bypassed that part.
Mike
Killer B

Post by Killer B »

How do you like your 10" gretsch blackhawk steel snare? I've been looking at different snares for my current set-up and the Gretch Blackhawk is on the top of my list.

Bryan
ratatattat

Post by ratatattat »

Hiya Brian,
I do like it , it is very responsive, but i have already abandoned it in favor of the sound of the main drum top snare. In experimenting I discovered the small snare can't get a good cross stick rim shot sound, & the main snare sound to me is so much fatter. I was considering selling my blackhawk, I still have the box it came in too. I play country, so I rarely need toms anyway! So I have already reverted to just one drum again.
SHORTY
Killer B

Post by Killer B »

How much for the Blackhawk snare? I have my eye on one on E-Bay but would rather support a fellow Cocktail Drummer.

Bryan
ratatattat

any reasonable offer will be considered!!

Post by ratatattat »

Hiya & sorry for a slow response. Makke me an offer & include the shipping, (I have the original box) I'll reluctantly include the cool mounting bracket as well, if I have tooo, I reckon. Mike e-mail to mlong34298@aol.com